RE: conf call Rachel / Orange Foundation

Jeremy Schwartz

Jun 4, 2014, 12:20:28 PM6/4/14
to luc.he...@orange.com, RACHEL Dev, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, Jonathan Field, Dave Moore, Sam Kinch, Johnny Long, John Walker, Rachel Project

Hi Luc,

Hope all is well over there.

We’ve got a deployment to Cameroon upcoming and wanted to see if we could snag a French image from you guys (or at least any content package you’ve already created).  Is that a possibility still?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jun 4, 2014, 1:25:35 PM6/4/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, Sam Kinch, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RACHEL Dev, Rachel Project, Johnny Long, Dave Moore, Jonathan Field, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker

Hi Jeremy,
Nice to hear from you. We could share an image with you without any problem.
We are a little late on our content schedule. We plan to have a stabilised image end of August. Is that too late?
I think we should coordinate about our deployment in Cameroon because we are equipping 30 schools for September.
I am in Madagascar next week but we could have a call the week after.
What do you think?
Regards,
Luc

Jeremy Schwartz

Jun 4, 2014, 1:33:12 PM6/4/14
to luc.he...@orange.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, jberke...@gmail.com, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org)

Thanks, Luc!

I’m adding Jonathan Berkey and Dr. Janet Shufor Fofang as well.  Jonathan is the Executive Director of ISSP (http://internationalschooltoschoolpartnerships.org/) and Dr. Bih Janet Shufor - founder of a private school, Tassah Academy,  in Cameroon as well as a professor of engineering at the University of Cameroon.  They’ll be assisted by our volunteer John Walker in getting RACHEL up and running.

This is a new project for us so I don’t know all the timing considerations.  I believe Jonathan and Dr. Shufor were going to be content with English RACHEL but John Walker reminded me about the French package you’re working on.

Jonathan, Luc is running a RACHEL esque build in French through the Orange Foundation.  See his note on collaboration below.  What is your timing?

Best,
Jeremy

Jonathan Berkey

Jun 4, 2014, 1:53:48 PM6/4/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, luc.he...@orange.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org)
Jeremy,

I will email Bih Janet in Cameroon to ask  if she would prefer a French language RACHEL.

Also, as I know her students are studying in both English and French, is it possible to have both languages available and installed on the same server?

Jonathan

Jeremy Schwartz

Jun 4, 2014, 3:54:27 PM6/4/14
to Jonathan Berkey, luc.he...@orange.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org)

Jeremy Schwartz

Jun 4, 2014, 3:55:56 PM6/4/14
to Jonathan Berkey, luc.he...@orange.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

--

Jeremy Schwartz

Executive Director

Office: +1.415.535.2138

Mobile: +1.714.745.4841

World Possible is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

Please consider a $2 monthly donation to support our work!

Jun 9, 2014, 3:54:33 PM6/9/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

Dear all,

We already have some French contents but it will be more complete end of August.

We are actually building a website for these contents, with a country selection. We will keep you posted when the Cameroon package will be on line.

Regards,

Luc Heripret

Jun 9, 2014, 3:56:19 PM6/9/14
to luc.he...@orange.com, Jeremy Schwartz, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), chall...@inveneo.org
Luc

thank you for the update.

Best regards
Bruce Baikie

Bruce Baikie | Executive Director

<image001.jpg>

zack matere

Jun 19, 2014, 2:39:23 AM6/19/14
to rachel...@googlegroups.com, luc.he...@orange.com, d...@worldpossible.org, florent...@orange.com, emmanue...@sofrecom.com, jfi...@gmail.com, da...@worldpossible.org, s...@hackersforcharity.org, joh...@hackersforcharity.org, jo...@worldpossible.org, jer...@worldpossible.org
hallo we are using orange to access internet in our little cyber in Soy in Rural Western Kenya .This is also the Rachel center for schools in western kenya .We are the first to start installing Rachel a couple of weeks ago and the response from the teachers and students is great.Already i have had requests from two teachers for foreign language content specifically German .But some of the local primary schools would also like french learning content . is it possible to get specific (tailored ) french  content that would work with new learners?
A technical question we intend to use orange surf n pay and are just a few kilometers from the 3 g range at Eldoret kenya .is there a way or an antenna that can be of help as we are hardly 3 miles from the 3 g range. Getting 3G would be fantastic for us here in the village
Asante(thank you)

luc.he...@orange.com

Jul 2, 2014, 3:23:02 AM7/2/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

To you all,

I am adding Aurelie, who is in charge of the French contents for our program. She can already transfer you, if you need it, a list of the French speaking content which has been selected for now.

Regards,

Luc

logo fonastion

Luc Heripret
Corporate philanthropy director for Africa

tél. +33144440797
mob. +33645504962
luc.he...@orange.com

@FondationOrange
facebook.com/fondationorange

Jul 2, 2014, 5:52:00 AM7/2/14
to HERIPRET Luc RSEEP/DMSG, Jeremy Schwartz, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

Hi all,

Please find in the attached file the list of the sources of French speaking educative contents. Tell me if you rather want to receive directly the French speaking contents.

Regards,

Aurélie

http://www.fondationorange.com/logo_fondation_signature_mail.gif

Aurélie Tual
Chargée de Mécenat international
tél.
+33144447877
mob. +33671970314
aureli...@orange.com

@FondationOrange
facebook.com/fondationorange

Jul 2, 2014, 12:36:11 PM7/2/14
to aureli...@orange.com, HERIPRET Luc RSEEP/DMSG, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

Frantastic!  Looks like a great list Aurelie and team.

If we can get the direct contents themselves, it would be great as well.  We can take a zipped upload here: http://dev.worldpossible.org/dropbox/fr/

Or set up any other method that works best for you (FTP, BitTorrent Sync, rsync).  What would you suggest?

Best,
Jeremy

--

Jeremy Schwartz

Executive Director

Office: +1.415.535.2138

Mobile: +1.714.745.4841

World Possible is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

Please consider a $2 monthly donation to support our work!

Jonathan Berkey

Jul 2, 2014, 12:52:26 PM7/2/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, aureli...@orange.com, HERIPRET Luc RSEEP/DMSG, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org
Jeremy and all,

As we are loading-up 20 servers from Symantec next week -- with a number of them going to French West African countries -- we are also very interested to include these 'direct content' French translated files.

Best,
Jonathan

Jonathan Berkey
Board President
International School-to-School Partnerships
website- www.isspweb.org

luc.he...@orange.com

Jul 2, 2014, 4:00:32 PM7/2/14
to jberke...@gmail.com, jer...@worldpossible.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, rachel...@googlegroups.com, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org

Hi Jonathan,

That would be good for us to know what are your French content and in which country you will deploy your server.

I will check tomorrow how to transfer you our content.

Regards,

Luc

Jul 3, 2014, 2:03:29 AM7/3/14
to rachel...@googlegroups.com, jberke...@gmail.com, jer...@worldpossible.org, aureli...@orange.com, florent...@orange.com, emmanue...@sofrecom.com, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, luc.he...@orange.com

Volunteers from my org (www.kidsoncomputers.org) will be in Morocco in mid-September and would like to install RACHEL with French content in 2 new computer labs.

We'll be deploying Linux-based servers (Ubuntu on MacMini hardware), not on Pi or Windows.

Please include me on any updates you have regarding French content (and Arabic).

Thanks!

Randy Tate
VP - Kids on Computers

De : Jeremy Schwartz [mailto...@worldpossible.org]

Jonathan Berkey

Jul 3, 2014, 11:18:47 AM7/3/14
to <luc.heripret@orange.com>, jer...@worldpossible.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, rachel...@googlegroups.com, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org
Luc,
We are working with K-12 age students starting with the Tassah Academy in Yaounde, Cameroon, focused initially on the sciences: biology, chemistry, physics, and environment science topics.
While beginning English is now taught in many schools in Cameroon, French is still the predominant national language.

We very much appreciate your translation work!

Jonathan
ISSP Board

Aurélie Tual
Chargée de Mécenat international
tél.
+33144447877
mob. +33671970314
aureli...@orange.com

@FondationOrange
facebook.com/fondationorange

I am adding Aurelie, who is in charge of the French contents for our program. She can already transfer you, if you need it, a list of the French speaking content which has been selected for now.

Regards,

Luc

<image003.jpg>

<image003.jpg>

Jeremy Schwartz

Jul 7, 2014, 6:17:53 PM7/7/14
to aureli...@orange.com, HERIPRET Luc RSEEP/DMSG, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if we could get the actual content.  It’s probably easiest to just throw bittorrent sync on an existing folder and let us download that way, but I can set up an FTP account for someone to upload it all otherwise, if you’re willing.

Best,
jeremy

Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 2:52 AM

aureli...@orange.com

Jul 8, 2014, 3:49:40 AM7/8/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, HERIPRET Luc RSEEP/DMSG, Jonathan Berkey, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, Rachel Project, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, Shannon McElyea (shannon.mcelyea@earthairspace.org), br...@inveneo.org

Jeremy,

We need 2 or 3 days to prepare the French content. You’ll get it on this Friday.

We keep in touch,

Best,

Aurélie

Sep 18, 2014, 11:31:16 PM9/18/14
to rachel...@googlegroups.com, jer...@worldpossible.org, luc.he...@orange.com, jberke...@gmail.com, florent...@orange.com, emmanue...@sofrecom.com, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, aureli...@orange.com

I remember seeing a World Possible monthly report that said that some French content had been uploaded somewhere by Orange Foundation, but I can't find it now.  Does anyone have the link?

Also, is it feasible to build a French RACHEL image by starting with the English version, then adding Wikipedia in French and downloading some KA videos? Looking for any pointers as I will be attempting to build 2 servers with French and Arabic content over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

De : Jeremy Schwartz [mailto...@worldpossible.org]

Jeremy Schwartz

Sep 19, 2014, 1:26:53 AM9/19/14
to Randy Tate, Rachel Project, luc.he...@orange.com, jberke...@gmail.com, florent...@orange.com, emmanue...@sofrecom.com, John Walker, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, aureli...@orange.com
Hi Randy

French content is here.

To my untrained eye it looks like a large collection of files in need of navigation structure. If you or someone organizes it, I can create html pages and include in a package.

Wikipedia and ka in French is pretty easy on the pi or any Linux build. We run into a couple more issues on windows machine. It's different than English which uses just a static html collection of curated Wikipedia because that doesn't exist in French so we would run a second server (which we do in our Spanish builds).  Are you using Linux servers?

+1.415.535.218
Sent from my mobile

luc.he...@orange.com

Sep 19, 2014, 2:40:53 AM9/19/14
to jer...@worldpossible.org, ra...@kidsoncomputers.org, rachel...@googlegroups.com, jberke...@gmail.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

Hi everyone,

Just remember that we have sent with our contents an excel spreadsheet which contains the database of the contents.

Regards,

Luc

Sep 19, 2014, 2:44:26 PM9/19/14
to luc.he...@orange.com, ra...@kidsoncomputers.org, Rachel Project, jberke...@gmail.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

Randy Tate

Sep 19, 2014, 8:01:24 PM9/19/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, luc.he...@orange.com, Rachel Project, jberke...@gmail.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

Jeremy -
We are using Linux (Ubermix).  Hope to have one of the servers up and running this weekend to start syncing content.  I will ask our volunteers if they could look into organizing the material.

Luc -
I found a file named " classeur_contenus_educatifs_numeriques.csv", which contains only 1042 records.  Only a few of the PDF files are mentioned in the .csv, and none of the MP4 files are mentioned.  Are there other database files that are not in Dropbox?

Thanks

luc.he...@orange.com

Sep 20, 2014, 2:26:12 AM9/20/14
to ra...@kidsoncomputers.org, jer...@worldpossible.org, rachel...@googlegroups.com, jberke...@gmail.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, jo...@worldpossible.org, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

Hi Randy,

I'll check that and will be back to you.

Regards,

Luc

Sep 25, 2014, 8:10:27 PM9/25/14
to Randy Tate, luc.he...@orange.com, Rachel Project, jberke...@gmail.com, CAVARD Florent RSEEP/DMSG, RAVION Emmanuel SOFRECOM, John Walker, shannon...@earthairspace.org, br...@inveneo.org, TUAL Aurelie RSEEP/DMSG

I haven’t been able to decipher much either from the spreadsheet.

I have put together an image with wikipedia/ ka-lite/ local content feature.  Can anyone translate the text on the following two pages for me?

www.shamba.worldpossible.org/about.html

shamba.worldpossible.org/uploads/