Impossible to quit racer when you're disqualified.

KroArtem

Aug 25, 2010, 6:25:31 AM8/25/10
to Racer Development
Racer rev. 326, compiled by myself.
When I play a different track and become disqualified, I cannot quit
the game. The computer player (AI) couldn't finish the race atm, and
the only way to close the Racer is to close the terminal or quit from
the program by pressing the button (hehe, in fact don't know how this
button is named in English. But it a button which is (usually)
situated in the up-right corner of the program :))
Also, speaking about disqualifying, may be it'll better to be able to
return to the race (may be using save points or smth else)?

James Legg

Aug 25, 2010, 12:19:13 PM8/25/10
to race...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 03:25 -0700, KroArtem wrote:
> Racer rev. 326, compiled by myself.
> When I play a different track and become disqualified, I cannot quit
> the game. The computer player (AI) couldn't finish the race atm, and
> the only way to close the Racer is to close the terminal or quit from
> the program by pressing the button (hehe, in fact don't know how this
> button is named in English. But it a button which is (usually)
> situated in the up-right corner of the program :))

I know, I haven't fixed that yet.

The game doesn't account for computer players properly at the moment, so
it waits for them like human players. However, only humans still playing
can give up with the pause menu. I plan to ignore computer players still
running when all the human players are done.

> Also, speaking about disqualifying, may be it'll better to be able to
> return to the race (may be using save points or smth else)?

I think with multiple human players this is a good idea. I haven't got
round to implementing it yet.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate when competing against lots of
computer players though.

-James

James Legg

Aug 29, 2010, 9:56:42 PM8/29/10
to race...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 17:19 +0100, James Legg wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 03:25 -0700, KroArtem wrote:
> > Racer rev. 326, compiled by myself.
> > When I play a different track and become disqualified, I cannot quit
> > the game. The computer player (AI) couldn't finish the race atm, and
> > the only way to close the Racer is to close the terminal or quit from
> > the program by pressing the button (hehe, in fact don't know how this
> > button is named in English. But it a button which is (usually)
> > situated in the up-right corner of the program :))
>
> I know, I haven't fixed that yet.

I committed a fix for this in revision 328. You won't need to wait for
the AI to finish or get disqualified. Also the computer player shouldn't
get stuck so often.

-James

Артем Крошенинников

Aug 30, 2010, 11:44:03 AM8/30/10
to race...@googlegroups.com

2010/8/30 James Legg <lanky...@gmail.com>

I committed a fix for this in revision 328. You won't need to wait for
the AI to finish or get disqualified. Also the computer player shouldn't
get stuck so often.

-James

 Thanks, now works fine. And your fix for AI made the race not so easy to win.
There is another suggestion: what about adding something like a widget in (for example) the left-up corner, which would show (in icons) who is the first, who is the second and so on?
I've made a little example so you could understand my idea: http://img833.imageshack.us/i/racer1.png/
Unfortunately I'm not an artist, so I could just suggest the idea, not the realization.

Cheers, Artem.