Intermittent RabbitMQ Crash

M. Shoaib Surya

May 27, 2024, 12:55:45 PMMay 27
to rabbitmq-users
We are facing an intermittent crash with RabbitMQ running v3.13 with Erlang/OTP v26 occurring once every few weeks.

It leaves a erl_crash.dump file with the following slogan:

Slogan: eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 1573200 bytes of memory (of type "heap").

This typically happens when a few hundred messages are published into the queue simultaneously on 3-4 different production systems running their own dedicated RabbitMQ instances.

The system has 15 GB of RAM available and the RAM utilization is around 20% in a normal usage, so it makes very little sense to me why the system went out-of-memory in allocating a block of just around 1.5 MB.

I have no specific steps to reproduce this as this doesn't happen on our test systems and I am able to push loads of up to 600K messages without any issues.

Can anyone help me pinpoint possible reasons of why this is happening? What RabbitMQ parameters we should tune up to avoid this from happening?

Thanks,
Shoaib.

Luke Bakken

May 30, 2024, 10:35:10 AMMay 30