Unable to detect Erlang in local machine using wix installer

Thang Vu

Nov 29, 2017, 4:54:11 AM11/29/17
to rabbitmq-users

My customer's requirements for this is to combine the installation files of Erlang and RabbitMQ with the MSI. file of my window application into one single package.

The main reason for this is because that my software requires RabbitMQ to run, so the customers want us to cut short the downloading steps.

We are including Erlang version 20.0 and RabbitMQ Server version 3.6.12 into the package.

My question is: How do RabbitMQ locate Erlang in local machines? Can I do it with Wix Installer? Any help would be really appreciated.

Luke Bakken

Nov 29, 2017, 12:26:02 PM11/29/17
to rabbitmq-users
Hi Thang,

You probably want to include Erlang 20.1.

The RabbitMQ installer uses this registry key to determine if Erlang is installed:

Let me know if that is the information you need.

Thanks,
Luke

Thang Vu

Nov 29, 2017, 8:40:56 PM11/29/17
to rabbitmq-users
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply. I did try with the registry key method, but it did not work as I expected since after I uninstall Erlang 20.0 and reboot, the registry key is still there. Is this a fix from a bug from Erlang 20.0 that has been included in Erlang 20.1?

Michael Klishin

Nov 29, 2017, 8:45:00 PM11/29/17
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
We are not aware of Windows-specific fixes in 20.1. Are you installing and uninstalling as administrator?

Thang Vu

Nov 29, 2017, 9:15:16 PM11/29/17
to rabbitmq-users
I did, my steps are:
  1. Remove RabbitMQ with administrator privilege
  2. Check RabbitMQ registry key - it's gone
  3. Remove Erlang 20.0 with administrator privilege
  4. Reboot
  5. Check Erlang registry key - it's still there.
This has been done on 2 different local machines. Both packages are installed with administrator privilege.
What do you think, Michael?
Message has been deleted

Thang Vu

Nov 30, 2017, 2:45:14 AM11/30/17
to rabbitmq-users

Update: This is my code:
<util:RegistrySearch
      Root="HKLM"
      Key="SOFTWARE\Ericsson\Erlang\ErlSrv\1.1\RabbitMQ"
      Format="raw"
      Variable="RabbitMQRegistrySearchResult"
      Win64="yes"
      Result="exists"/>
<util:RegistrySearch
      Root="HKLM"
      Key="SOFTWARE\Ericsson\Erlang"
      Format="raw"
      Variable="ErlangHomePathSearchResult"
      Win64="yes"
      Result="exists"/>

Luke Bakken

Nov 30, 2017, 10:51:44 AM11/30/17
to rabbitmq-users
Hi Thang,

You'll have to contact Ericsson about the Windows Erlang installer. It should remove the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ericsson\Erlang registry key upon uninstallation.

I recommend checking for the key and then checking to see if the erl.exe file exists at the expected location.

Thanks,
Luke

Thang Vu

Nov 30, 2017, 8:48:30 PM11/30/17
to rabbitmq-users
What's really weird here is that even if the registry key is still there, RabbitMQ still be able to find and validate that it's not.
 Anyway thanks for the help, I also contact the guy from Erlang support. Their reply was "There's not a simple solution.  The best approach is probably use the register to find the path to the executable and test if it’s there."

Regards,
Thang

Thang Vu

Nov 30, 2017, 10:38:11 PM11/30/17
to rabbitmq-users

Luke Bakken

Dec 1, 2017, 10:46:11 AM12/1/17
to rabbitmq-users
Thanks for letting the mailing list know. I am pretty surprised that the key is in that part of the registry.

Thang Vu

Dec 4, 2017, 3:30:41 AM12/4/17
to rabbitmq-users
Me too. You're welcome! Glad to join the community!