Restart in maintenance mode

Arnaud Morin

Jun 5, 2024, 5:37:40 AMJun 5
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I can't find in documentation, neither on CLI help if we can start a
rabbitmq-server in maintenance mode?

Our workflow is the following:

We suspend_listeners
We drain (mark as maintenance)
We remove stream replicas
We shrink quorum queues
We do our kernel upgrade
Reboot
We start back rabbitmq

The problem now is that rabbitmq is started without stream replicas.
New client connection are accepted, but the replicas are not there.

So, we were looking for a way to start the app in maintenance (refusing
new client connection) until we add back all replicas for
streams/quorum.

Cheers,

Arnaud.

Michal Kuratczyk

Jun 5, 2024, 6:04:25 AMJun 5
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
The maintenance mode status is reset on boot, so no, at least currently that's not possible.

What are you trying to accomplish by shrinking the queues and streams? The major more popular
upgrade process would be to simply reboot the node after draining, which would
prevent this "issue" from happening in the first place.

Michal
RabbitMQ Team

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

Arnaud

Jun 5, 2024, 12:46:02 PMJun 5
to 'Michal Kuratczyk' via rabbitmq-users
On kernel upgrade I imagine we could avoid shrinking the queues, you are right.
However sometimes we are replacing a server by another, with different hostname.
What we do in this situation is that we avoid clients to connect to this new server until it's fully operational (queues replicated), but having a way to start it in maintenance could also be helpful.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Michal Kuratczyk

Jun 5, 2024, 2:42:33 PMJun 5
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com