50K bindings on a single queue

tamir dresher

May 14, 2020, 1:39:31 AM5/14/20
to rabbitmq-discuss
Hi all,

We are designing a new feature in our system where consumers (consumer == internal application) need to recieve messages about changes in items they are interested in.
From the statistics we gathered we see the maximal number of items a single consumer can be interested in is 50K (on average it would be ~15K).
Initial tests shows that this is works OK and RabbitMQ handles it, but when we delete such a queue (if for example we scaling down the system and shutting down one of the instances) it takes a few minutes for it to be deleted and the RabbitMQ management portal becomes unresponsive.

Does it make sense to have so many bindings or is it a bad design?

* We we'll have around 50 instances of the consumers, each one with its own queue which is not persistent and shoudl be auto-deleted when the consumer shut down

Thank you