Release Beta 2.40.271

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 10, 2018, 8:22:39 AM10/10/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hi,

I just released a new Beta Version 2.40.271.

New Features:
  • New backup and restore function which allows to backup all data
  • Filter option in message list
  • Show message details in notification

Fixes:
  • Temporary files are now deleted properly
  • Fixed attachment download progress
  • Fixed crashes if connection drops
  • BugFixes
Since this is the last release before Google requires to target Android 8 which forces me to re-write all background code, I could take a while for the next one ;).

regards

stefan

pourquoi

Oct 11, 2018, 6:46:13 AM10/11/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for updating this useful software.
The problem I noticed so far is that your software lost its name anywhere on the telephone!
(Android 8.0 / Samsung Galaxy Note8)

Regards,

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 11, 2018, 7:18:00 AM10/11/18
to r2mail2-...@googlegroups.com

thanks for telling me - since I put the icon at the bottom of my luncher I didn't realise that - this is fixed in the next version.

regards

stefan

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 11, 2018, 10:38:09 AM10/11/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
I just released a new Beta Version 2.40.272 with some fixes.

Thorsten

Oct 11, 2018, 10:49:26 AM10/11/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hi Stefan,

and thanks for the update.

"Fixed attachment download progress" -> this bug was kind of annoying. ;)
"Show message details in notification" -> great, but maybe the subject could use two lines instead of just one. :)

Kind regards,

Thorsten

Samson Nosmas

Oct 11, 2018, 8:03:12 PM10/11/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Am Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2018 16:38:09 UTC+2 schrieb Stefan Selbitschka:
I just released a new Beta Version 2.40.272 with some fixes.

Where can I download the beta 2.41.272?

Olav Seyfarth

Oct 11, 2018, 8:07:44 PM10/11/18
to Samson Nosmas, r2mail2-...@googlegroups.com
Where can I download the beta 2.41.272?
I just got it via Google Play Update.
signature.asc

Matthias

Oct 13, 2018, 5:57:59 AM10/13/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Thanks for the update which improves usability a lot! Apart from the icon issue - which you already fixed - it runs great so far.

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 24, 2018, 4:24:27 AM10/24/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Just release 2.41.276 which contains some fixes and will be hopefully released to production next days.

regards
stefan

pourquoi

Oct 24, 2018, 4:45:05 PM10/24/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hi Stefan,

I noticed a problem where R2Mail2 doesn’t apply the settings:
• My default is to send signed but unencrypted emails.
• I set a security rule to send signed and encrypted emails to the contacts for whom I have their PGP keys.
• I read an article in another browser, then I click on "Share with" R2Mail2.
• I enter the email contact that I want to send to (one that is on the security rule list).
• (Notice that I didn’t touch the checkboxes Sign / Encrypt – the former is clicked by default, not the latter, according to the general settings.)
• The email is sent UNENCRYPTED (contrary to the predefined rule)!

But, if I first manually check the “encrypt” button and then click Send, then R2Mail2 triggers the security rule and tells me that the email is being both signed and encrypted according to the rule. This is quite useless, because I would like that the specific rule be applied whether I remember to encrypt it or not.

I hope you get what I mean.

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 25, 2018, 9:52:50 AM10/25/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Looking into the code does not show any error so lets dig deeper...

1) Does this also happen if you create a new email within the app (without sharing something from other apps)
2) What does your rule exactly looks like: From, Recipien, UI Action, Encypt, Sign? No need for real addresses but I need to know all other settings.

I guess this behaviour is a combination of your UI Action, settings combined with defaults etc.

But I need you exact settings to reconstruct this...

regards
stefan

Matthias

Oct 25, 2018, 2:55:58 PM10/25/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
App Icon Label is missing again after last update to .276.

Regards,
Matthias

pourquoi

Oct 25, 2018, 3:25:41 PM10/25/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Not to me at least

Stefan Selbitschka

Oct 25, 2018, 3:26:35 PM10/25/18
to r2mail2-...@googlegroups.com
forget to fix this for other languages then english - update is out!

regards

stefan

pourquoi

Oct 25, 2018, 3:34:38 PM10/25/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hi Stefan,

To answer your question, yes, I tried without the “Share” option and indeed it’s not dependent on it (this means the direct emails are also affected). The security rule seems to apply only if I manually check the second checkbox to force the encryption (I then get the rule pop‐up).
But if I check, then uncheck the encryption option, the rule is still not applied on top.

I mostly tested with my most frequent contact (first rule in the list of 8). All my security rules are:
from *
UI action: Sign & Encrypt
Encrypt: Encrypt PGP Text
Sign: Sign PGP Text

I hope this helps.

pourquoi

Oct 28, 2018, 2:07:31 PM10/28/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hi Stefan,

I hope you could reproduce or fix the non encrypted email by the rules problem that I sent earlier.

Here’s another problem that I encounter: if an email couldn’t be sent earlier because the data connection is lost, R2Mail2 can’t send it when the data connection is re‑established. It just sits there in Local Folders/Outbox.
Every time I enter the R2Mail2 window, it says I “have unsent Messages! Would you like to send them now?” And it never sends it.

I hope this helps.
Regards,

Marc Lucks

Oct 28, 2018, 2:37:28 PM10/28/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
I have the problem with re sending of mails, too. Often happens with bigger mails.

Btw.: Notifications are working perfectly with my Pebbles Smartwatch.

Marc

---- Von: pourquoi <cyprie...@gmail.com> -- Gesendet: 28.10.18 - 19:07 ----

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I hope you could reproduce or fix the non encrypted email by the rules
> problem that I sent earlier.
>
> Here’s another problem that I encounter: if an email couldn’t be sent
> earlier because the data connection is lost, R2Mail2 can’t send it when the
> data connection is re‑established. It just sits there in Local
> Folders/Outbox.
> Every time I enter the R2Mail2 window, it says I “have unsent Messages!
> Would you like to send them now?” And it never sends it.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Regards,
>
> Le mercredi 10 octobre 2018 14:22:39 UTC+2, Stefan Selbitschka a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just released a new Beta Version 2.40.271.
>>
>> New Features:
>>
>> - New backup and restore function which allows to backup all data
>> - Filter option in message list
>> - Show message details in notification
>>

>> Fixes:
>>
>> - Temporary files are now deleted properly
>> - Fixed attachment download progress
>> - Fixed crashes if connection drops
>> - BugFixes
>>
>> Since this is the last release before Google requires to target Android 8
>> which forces me to re-write all background code, I could take a while for
>> the next one ;).
>>
>> regards
>>
>> stefan

Matthias

Nov 2, 2018, 4:38:00 AM11/2/18
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Dear Stefan,

after updating my phone to 8.1 Oreo I found another minor (cosmetic) issue. The open locker icon for the saved master password remains in the status bar even though it is deactivated in the settings. But that worked with 7.0 so it might be an issue when you are going to adress 8.0.

Regards,
Matthias
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

KeyTalk BV

Jul 19, 2019, 3:53:37 PM7/19/19
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
I certainly hope its not dead, I just joined ;)

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 5:50:52 PM UTC+2, pourquoi wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Is R2Mail2 officially dead? We have had now news for a long while and the bugs I reported on this version here were never addressed.

Regards,

Bernd Baenitz

Dec 19, 2019, 5:13:51 PM12/19/19
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
R2Mail2 scheint doch tot zu sein.Seit über einem Jahr passiert nichts mehr. Leider gibt es derzeit keine gleichwertige Alternative.

Samson Nosmas

Jan 20, 2020, 2:39:22 PM1/20/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test

Am Donnerstag, 19. Dezember 2019 23:13:51 UTC+1 schrieb Bernd Baenitz:
R2Mail2 scheint doch tot zu sein.Seit über einem Jahr passiert nichts mehr.  Leider gibt es derzeit keine gleichwertige Alternative.

Es ist wirklich verdammt schade. Wenn sich @Stefan Selbitschka doch nur mal zu Wort melden würde wie es mit R2Mail2 weitergeht...

Stefan Selbitschka

Jan 23, 2020, 10:32:35 AM1/23/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hallo,

na wenn ich schon persönlich gebeten werden melde ich mich doch glatt mal ;).

Also ich bin nicht tot - R2Mail2 somit auch nicht - zumindest läuft es bei mir einwandfrei.

Allerdings hat mich Google mit den immer neuen Umstellungen der API und Verpflichtungen diese bei updates zu unterstützen mehr als behindert und demotiviert.

Fakt ist, dass ich vor dem nächste Update fast die gesamte Synchronisation neu programmieren müsste, von den Widgets und UI Änderungen noch gar nicht gesprochen. Nun schätze ich, dass mich das ca. 4-6 Woche am Stück binden würde - diese Zeit habe ich aktuell allerdings nicht. Weiters ist der Code um R2Mail2 seit Jahren gewachsen und würde mal gründliches Aufräumen und ev. Portierung nach Kotlin vertragen. Aber all das kostet noch mehr Zeit.

Alternativen gibt es leider wenige, somit fühle ich mich quasi verpflichtet - denn ich brauche ja auch selbst einen MUA.

Zusammengefasst "die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt" oder ich hoffe ich habe in diesem Jahr genug downtimes um ein Update rauszubringen.

lg
stefan

Samson Nosmas

Jan 30, 2020, 6:27:19 PM1/30/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hallo Stefan, vielen Dank für deine ausführliche, ehrliche Antwort!

Zumindest kennen wir nun den groben Pfad und wissen wie es weitergeht. Ich freue mich schon auf zukünftige Updates.

Gerne bin ich bereit deine Mühen finanziell zu unterstützen. Ich denke da an so etwas wie einen neuen Lizenzerwerb.
Und für alle die diesbezüglich gleich aufschreien: Gute Arbeit kostet und sichert euch den Fortbestand.

Stephan Struckmann

Jan 31, 2020, 8:07:07 AM1/31/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hallo,

ja, das kenne ich auch. Ich würde wohl auch was bezahlen für einen MUA mit Verschlüsselung. Ich fürchte, das Problem ist eher
die Zeit, wenn ich das richtig verstanden habe. Vielleicht finden sich ja hier ein paar Mitstreiter?

Danke für die gute Arbeit,

Stephan

Bernd Baenitz

Feb 8, 2020, 6:38:28 PM2/8/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Hallo Stefan,
auch ich danke Dir für die Informationen. Wie auch andere Tester würde ich für eine weitere Version auch gern eine neue Lizenz kaufen bzw. die Entwicklung finanziell unterstützen.
Lg Bernd

panicopticon

Feb 8, 2020, 8:49:13 PM2/8/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
Agree, if additional funding will help, I am willing to pay.

Thomas Zell

Feb 14, 2020, 12:58:11 PM2/14/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test
I just read about this one https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/README.md
Based on what I read it could possibly replace R2Mail2 for me. I'll give it a try, first impression is pretty good. Refreshingly modern interface which I think my family would accept as well.

Samson Nosmas

Feb 15, 2020, 6:38:20 PM2/15/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test

Am Freitag, 14. Februar 2020 18:58:11 UTC+1 schrieb Thomas Zell:
I just read about this one https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/README.md
Based on what I read it could possibly replace R2Mail2 for me. I'll give it a try, first impression is pretty good. Refreshingly modern interface which I think my family would accept as well.

Danke für den erneuten Tipp! Vor einigen Tage hat mir hier schon jemand eine Empfehlung dazu ausgesprochen nur konnte ich diesen Beitrag nicht mehr auffinden. Wurde dieser gelöscht???
Wie dem auch sei, ich habe FairEmail vor einer Woche mal testweise installiert und ich bin begeistert.

Stefan Selbitschka

Feb 17, 2020, 5:31:31 AM2/17/20
to R2Mail2 BETA Test

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 12:38:20 AM UTC+1, Samson Nosmas wrote:

Danke für den erneuten Tipp! Vor einigen Tage hat mir hier schon jemand eine Empfehlung dazu ausgesprochen nur konnte ich diesen Beitrag nicht mehr auffinden. Wurde dieser gelöscht???

Also gelöscht habe ich sicher keinen Post.

Wie dem auch sei, ich habe FairEmail vor einer Woche mal testweise installiert und ich bin begeistert.

Ich selbst habe mir FairEmail auch angesehen, aber speziell bezgl. S/MIME ein paar Probleme gefunden. Da hier nur der Android Zertifikatsspeicher verwendet wird, welche eigentlich nur für ClientAuth Zertifikate gedacht ist, kann man keine abgelaufenen Zertifikate importieren.  Ergo aber auch keine "alten" verschlüsselten E-Mails mehr lesen sollte man ein neues Zertifikat bekommen weil das alte Abläuft.

Über UI und sonstige geschmäcker kann man nat. streiten ;).

Michael Nausch

Feb 17, 2020, 6:28:27 AM2/17/20
to r2mail2-...@googlegroups.com
HI,

Am 16.02.20 um 00:38 schrieb Samson Nosmas:

> Danke für den erneuten Tipp! Vor einigen Tage hat mir hier schon jemand
> eine Empfehlung dazu ausgesprochen nur konnte ich diesen Beitrag nicht
> mehr auffinden. Wurde dieser gelöscht???

Vermutlich meintest Du meine Nachricht, die ich dir nicht über die Liste
geschickt hatte, sondern direkt.

> Wie dem auch sei, ich habe FairEmail vor einer Woche mal testweise
> installiert und ich bin begeistert.

Ja, für mich sprechen folgende Dinge dafür:
1) Wird aktuell gepflegt und weiterentwickelt
2) Ich kann meine ED25519-Schlüssel die auf dem Nitrokey Start
sicher verwart werden, mit FAirEmail und OpenKeychain nutzen.

Um Gottes willen, es geht nichts gegen Stefan Selbitschka persönlich,
nicht falsch verstehen. Aber ich sehe es nunmal als Fakt an, dass
R2MAil2 mehr oder weniger tot ist und FairEmail ist hier ein mehr als
würdiger Nachrfolger. ;)

Servus
Michael Nausch
--
Gänsbrunnenweg 6
85652 Pliening

Tel.: 08121/883176
Fax.: 08121/883179
Mail: mic...@nausch.org

Michael Nausch

Feb 17, 2020, 6:35:52 AM2/17/20
to r2mail2-...@googlegroups.com
HI Stefan,

Am 17.02.20 um 11:31 schrieb Stefan Selbitschka:

> Ich selbst habe mir FairEmail auch angesehen, aber speziell bezgl.
> S/MIME ein paar Probleme gefunden. Ergo aber auch keine "alten" verschlüsselten E-Mails mehr
> lesen sollte man ein neues Zertifikat bekommen weil das alte Abläuft.

Tja, einen Tod muss man sterben, aber ich persönlich gebe PGP ehr den
Vorzug vor bei S/MIME, da zu 99% aller meiner Kontakte eh' mit PGP
verschlüsseln und ich das S/MIME Zertifikat für einen Account nur nutze,
um das totalemüll mail-Gateway unseres IT-Dienstlsieters zu Testen. ;)

> Über UI und sonstige geschmäcker kann man nat. streiten ;).

Ja, es dauert ein Weilchen, bis mal die Dinge findet, die vorher bei
R2MAil2 an andere Stelle erreichbar waren, aber in Summe, bleibe ich
(leider), oder muss bei meiner Empfehlung bleiben:

FairEmail does it best practice.