[R-SIG-Mac] Problems with lzma headers file compiling R 3.3.1 under mac os x 10.7.5

Vittorio De Martino

Aug 28, 2016, 12:47:11 PM8/28/16
to r-si...@r-project.org
I'm trying for the first time to compile R 3.3.1 on my old macbook with 10.7.5.
Among other things I have already successfully installed the xz port (which includes lzma) from the macports collection (xz-devel is now included in xz).
When as root user I launch './configure' the configure process stops with the following error:

$ ./configure
checking if bzip2 version >= 1.0.6... yes
checking whether bzip2 support suffices... no
checking for lzma_version_number in -llzma... no
configure: error: "liblzma library and headers are required"

I'm getting stuck here. Please help
Ciao
Vittorio

David Winsemius

Aug 28, 2016, 3:31:15 PM8/28/16
to Vittorio De Martino, r-si...@r-project.org

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Vittorio De Martino <vittorio....@email.it> wrote:
>
> I'm trying for the first time to compile R 3.3.1 on my old macbook with 10.7.5.
> Among other things I have already successfully installed the xz port (which includes lzma) from the macports collection (xz-devel is now included in xz).

The problem is that MacPorts puts its packages in a location where a standard installation of R will not find them. It might be easier for you to install from the collection provided here (at least it is for me and I'm not particularly facile with Unix installations)):

http://r.research.att.com/src/

> When as root user I launch './configure' the configure process stops with the following error:
>
> $ ./configure
> checking if bzip2 version >= 1.0.6... yes
> checking whether bzip2 support suffices... no
> checking for lzma_version_number in -llzma... no
> configure: error: "liblzma library and headers are required"
>
> I'm getting stuck here. Please help
> Ciao
> Vittorio

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Vittorio De Martino

Aug 29, 2016, 8:47:38 AM8/29/16
to r-si...@r-project.org
Thanks to David advice I was able to overcome the lzma problem compiling the xz package downloaded from the suggested site.
Now my R 3.3.1 configure process is stuck to another point:
./configure
checking pcre.h usability... yes
checking pcre.h presence... yes
checking for pcre.h... yes
checking pcre/pcre.h usability... no
checking pcre/pcre.h presence... no
checking for pcre/pcre.h... no
checking if PCRE version >= 8.10, < 10.0 and has UTF-8 support... no
checking whether PCRE support suffices... configure: error: pcre >= 8.10 library and headers are required

Even though I downloaded and successfully installed the pcre-8.36.tar.bz2 file from the same http://r.research.att.com/src/ site (in /usr/local/include I can see the freshly installed pcre.h file).

How can I solve the problem ?
Ciao from Rome
Vittorio

>> On Aug 28, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Vittorio De Martino <vittorio....@email.it> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying for the first time to compile R 3.3.1 on my old macbook with 10.7.5.
>> Among other things I have already successfully installed the xz port (which includes lzma) from the macports collection (xz-devel is now included in xz).
>
> The problem is that MacPorts puts its packages in a location where a standard installation of R will not find them. It might be easier for you to install from the collection provided here (at least it is for me and I'm not particularly facile with Unix installations)):
>
> http://r.research.att.com/src/

Vittorio De Martino

Aug 29, 2016, 9:08:54 AM8/29/16
to r-si...@r-project.org
Solved. I had to launch ./configure --enable-utf
Ciao
Vittorio

Prof Brian Ripley

Aug 29, 2016, 12:03:19 PM8/29/16
to r-si...@r-project.org
Better advice is in the manual, at
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#OS-X
(although there is no guarantee that all of the binary packages will
work with 10.7, many of them will). And for PCRE, at
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Essential-programs-and-libraries
.
--
Brian D. Ripley, rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk

saransh sawhney

Nov 17, 2016, 7:40:39 AM11/17/16
to R Special Interest Group on Mac Development, r-si...@r-project.org, vittorio....@email.it
Hey Vittorio how did you solve lama library issue?

Simon Urbanek

Dec 8, 2016, 9:07:49 AM12/8/16
to saransh sawhney, r-si...@r-project.org, R Special Interest Group on Mac Development
I strongly recommend using the supported library binaries from http://r.research.att.com/libs/ (see the R-admin manual C.3 section) since macports are notoriously problematic when mixing with "native" applications.

Cheers,
Simon

Mick Jordan

Dec 8, 2016, 10:56:23 AM12/8/16
to r-si...@r-project.org
On 12/8/16 6:06 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> I strongly recommend using the supported library binaries from http://r.research.att.com/libs/ (see the R-admin manual C.3 section) since macports are notoriously problematic when mixing with "native" applications.
We had similar problems building GNU R on a variety of machines (outside
our control, i.e. no root access) that were using Brew and/or Macports
for installing third party libraries, (and similar problems on some
Linux systems actually). The way we solve it is to add the location
where the package manager installs headers to CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/CXXFLAGS
and the library location to LDFLAGS. E,g for Macports:

PKG_INCLUDE_FLAGS_OVERRIDE=-I/opt/local/include
PKG_LDFLAGS_OVERRIDE=-L/opt/local/lib
./configure CFLAGS=$PKG_INCLUDE_FLAGS_OVERRIDE etc.

Mick

chittaranjan reddy

Mar 19, 2019, 6:59:56 PM3/19/19
to R Special Interest Group on Mac Development

I am getting the same error while configure R-3.5.3. Also I loaded required "xz" modules as well. still its not working. did you find any solution for this error.

checking if lzma version >= 5.0.3... no

configure: error: "liblzma library and headers are required"

[root@ca-mdev-ssh-01 R-3.5.3]#

[root@ca-mdev-ssh-01 R-3.5.3]# module list | grep -i xz

Currently Loaded Modulefiles:

  1) mdtk                            2) zlib/1.2.11                     3) bzip2-1.0.6-gcc-7.3.1-76outrb   4) lzma-4.32.7-gcc-7.3.1-q4gekhf   5) xz-5.2.4-gcc-4.4.7-elyhku3

[root@ca-mdev-ssh-01 R-3.5.3]#

Thanks,
Chittu