[R-SIG-Mac] Get this error message after install "“R” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

1 view

Andrew Speirs-Bridge

Jul 27, 2022, 1:39:07 AM7/27/22
to r-si...@r-project.org
Hi,

After installing R-4.2.1-arm64.pkg I get this error message when I start R:
  • “R” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
Machine details are:
  • macOS Monterey Version 12.4
  • Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
Regards

Andrew Speirs-Bridge | Client Services and Support
0415 654 204

Healthily Pty Ltd
Suite 2, Level 5, 492, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 3004.

Peter West

Jul 27, 2022, 1:52:18 AM7/27/22
to Andrew Speirs-Bridge, r-si...@r-project.org
I just (re-)installed the package on the same configuration. It works for me.

Peter West
p...@pbw.id.au
“The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened.”

> On 27 Jul 2022, at 3:38 pm, Andrew Speirs-Bridge <andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> After installing R-4.2.1-arm64.pkg I get this error message when I start R:
> “R” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
> Machine details are:
> macOS Monterey Version 12.4
> Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
> Regards
>
> Andrew Speirs-Bridge | Client Services and Support
> 0415 654 204
> andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au <mailto:andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au>
>

> Healthily Pty Ltd
> Suite 2, Level 5, 492, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 3004.
> m: +61 (0)415 654 204 p: +61 (0)3 9534 7222 f: +61 (0)3 9534 7333
> http://healthily.com.au <http://healthily.com.au/><HEALTHILY 26 copy45[21][79].png>_______________________________________________
> R-SIG-Mac mailing list
> R-SI...@r-project.org

[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Prof Brian Ripley

Jul 27, 2022, 2:32:19 AM7/27/22
On 27/07/2022 06:51, Peter West wrote:
> I just (re-)installed the package on the same configuration. It works for me.

And did for me with 12.4 and now 12.5. If the problems were widespread
we would have heard immediately after release (now a month ago).

Does the previous version work for you? It was not immediately obvious
where to get it from the landing page, but from the pattern of URLs, from

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/big-sur-arm64/base/

Please see this list's archive for earlier this month for a similar
issue. The only suggestion there was a customized macOS. This looks
specific to a few people and the rest of us can only guess what is
specific to them.

As the list's archives show, there are requests to test pre-releases,
and AFAICS nothing like this was reported before release. Please do
test pre-releases in future.
--
Brian D. Ripley, rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk

Calboli Federico (LUKE)

Jul 27, 2022, 2:54:52 AM7/27/22
to Andrew Speirs-Bridge, r-si...@r-project.org
A quick question — is it your own laptop, or is it owned and managed by your employer? if the latter, your IT deparment might have the solution. If the former, I have no iea.

BW

> On 27. Jul 2022, at 8.38, Andrew Speirs-Bridge <andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> After installing R-4.2.1-arm64.pkg I get this error message when I start R:
> • “R” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
> Machine details are:
> • macOS Monterey Version 12.4
> • Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
> Regards
>
> Andrew Speirs-Bridge | Client Services and Support
> 0415 654 204
> andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au
>

> Healthily Pty Ltd
> Suite 2, Level 5, 492, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 3004.
> m: +61 (0)415 654 204 p: +61 (0)3 9534 7222 f: +61 (0)3 9534 7333
> http://healthily.com.au

Andrew Speirs-Bridge

Simon Urbanek

Jul 27, 2022, 4:22:48 AM7/27/22
to Andrew Speirs-Bridge, r-si...@r-project.org
That link is to instructions how to circumvent the check, however, the CRAN R releases are notarized by Apple (i.e. they have been checked by Apple for malicious software), so unless you are sure that you definitely have a release from us circumventing it only enables possible attackers to install illegitimate software on your Mac. So I would strongly recommend following the instruction on the CRAN page to verify the signature of the downloaded package before overriding the Apple security measures.

Cheers,
Simon

> On Jul 27, 2022, at 7:32 PM, Andrew Speirs-Bridge <andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au> wrote:
>
> I worked it out: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchleab3a043/mac <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchleab3a043/mac>
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Andrew Speirs-Bridge | Client Services and Support
> 0415 654 204
> andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au <mailto:andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au>
>

> Healthily Pty Ltd
> Suite 2, Level 5, 492, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 3004.
> m: +61 (0)415 654 204 p: +61 (0)3 9534 7222 f: +61 (0)3 9534 7333
> http://healthily.com.au <http://healthily.com.au/>
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 4:54 PM Calboli Federico (LUKE) <federico...@luke.fi <mailto:federico...@luke.fi>> wrote:
> A quick question — is it your own laptop, or is it owned and managed by your employer? if the latter, your IT deparment might have the solution. If the former, I have no iea.
>
> BW

> > On 27. Jul 2022, at 8.38, Andrew Speirs-Bridge <andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au <mailto:andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > After installing R-4.2.1-arm64.pkg I get this error message when I start R:
> > • “R” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
> > Machine details are:
> > • macOS Monterey Version 12.4
> > • Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
> > Regards
> >
> > Andrew Speirs-Bridge | Client Services and Support
> > 0415 654 204
> > andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au <mailto:andrew.sp...@healthily.com.au>
> >

> > Healthily Pty Ltd
> > Suite 2, Level 5, 492, St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 3004.
> > m: +61 (0)415 654 204 p: +61 (0)3 9534 7222 f: +61 (0)3 9534 7333
> > http://healthily.com.au <http://healthily.com.au/>
> > R-SIG-Mac mailing list
> > R-SI...@r-project.org <mailto:R-SI...@r-project.org>

> R-SIG-Mac mailing list