[R-SIG-Mac] Spatial Packages for X86_64

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-SIG-Mac

Aug 23, 2022, 1:12:49 PM8/23/22
to mailman, r-sig-mac
Hi:

I noticed that a lot of the spatial packages, such as sf, terra, raster etc are up to date for arm64, bu not so for X86_64. I know to get all the required libraries working can be a real hassle, but I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done to help. I don't know that I would have the expertise, but just thought I would inquire.

Thanks for any insight.

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: Roy.Men...@noaa.gov www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Jeroen Ooms

Aug 23, 2022, 1:23:23 PM8/23/22
to Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal, mailman, r-sig-mac
On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 7:12 PM Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via
R-SIG-Mac <r-si...@r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I noticed that a lot of the spatial packages, such as sf, terra, raster etc are up to date for arm64, bu not so for X86_64. I know to get all the required libraries working can be a real hassle, but I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done to help. I don't know that I would have the expertise, but just thought I would inquire.

MacOS binaries are also available from r-universe, see:
https://r-spatial.r-universe.dev and https://rspatial.r-universe.dev
for details. For example to update sf and terra:

install.packages("sf", repos = "https://r-spatial.r-universe.dev")
install.packages("terra", repos = "https://rspatial.r-universe.dev")

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-SIG-Mac

Aug 23, 2022, 1:33:27 PM8/23/22
to Jeroen Ooms, mailman, r-sig-mac
Thanks, I actually tried using r-universe. Unfortunately, for example, package sf contains an .so file that is unregistered, so while I can install the r-universe package, when I try to load that installation of sf my system gets very unhappy. Moreover, on my work computer, our IT would be very unhappy if I tried to override that.

-Roy

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 10:22 AM, Jeroen Ooms <jer...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 7:12 PM Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via
> R-SIG-Mac <r-si...@r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I noticed that a lot of the spatial packages, such as sf, terra, raster etc are up to date for arm64, bu not so for X86_64. I know to get all the required libraries working can be a real hassle, but I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done to help. I don't know that I would have the expertise, but just thought I would inquire.
>
> MacOS binaries are also available from r-universe, see:
> https://r-spatial.r-universe.dev and https://rspatial.r-universe.dev
> for details. For example to update sf and terra:
>
> install.packages("sf", repos = "https://r-spatial.r-universe.dev")
> install.packages("terra", repos = "https://rspatial.r-universe.dev")

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: Roy.Men...@noaa.gov www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Simon Urbanek

Aug 24, 2022, 12:49:49 AM8/24/22
to Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal, mailman, r-sig-mac
Roy,

thanks, the packages seem to fail checks
https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macos-x86_64/terra-00check.html
due to insufficient gdal flags,
https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macos-x86_64/terra-00install.html
i.e. some dependencies are required, but are not linked by gdal. Looking at the difference between arm64 and x86_64 it looks like the x86_64 is missing -lzstd (indirectly needed due to tiff). I have added it by hand, so the next nightly build should fix its, but I think gdal could do with an update so I'll try to trigger recipes re-build (we do have gdal 3.5.1 there while the packages are still on 3.4.2).

Cheers,
Simon

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-SIG-Mac

Aug 24, 2022, 11:01:13 AM8/24/22
to Simon Urbanek, mailman, r-sig-mac
Hi SImon:

Thanks for the updates, and for the work. Having once tried myself to compile all the underneath (non-R) libraries and not particularly succeeding (but thank you kyngchaos!) I appreciate this is fair amount of work.

-Roy