supported node versions?

alessandro

Mar 16, 2011, 3:08:45 PM3/16/11
to r-node-users
what's the latest node.js version that works with r-node ? i think i
just tried with 0.3.7 and failed

TIA

/rnode/r-node/server/binding.node: undefined symbol:
_ZN2v88internal9Internals13kJSObjectTypeE
at Object..node (node.js:435:15)
at Module.load (node.js:355:35)
at Function._load (node.js:322:14)
at require (node.js:367:23)
at Object.<anonymous> (/home/ale/rnode/r-node/server/rserve.js:
21:15)
at Module._compile (node.js:423:30)
at Object..js (node.js:429:14)
at Module.load (node.js:355:35)
at Function._load (node.js:322:14)
at require (node.js:367:23)

Jamie Love

Mar 17, 2011, 12:54:34 AM3/17/11
to r-node...@googlegroups.com

Hiya

Should work with the latest git code - at least it did a few weeks ago.

But that error looks like i need to investigate.

Lu Zhiheng

Aug 24, 2012, 10:27:51 PM8/24/12
to r-node...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:08:45 AM UTC+8, alessandro wrote:
what's the latest node.js version that works with r-node ? i think i
just tried with 0.3.7 and failed

I have the same problem, but I used Gentoo Linux and  nodejs version >= 0.6.x to 0.9.x  and got the below message:

localhost deploy # ./run-server.sh

module.js:485
  process.dlopen(filename, module.exports);
          ^
Error: /home/lussy/RQuant/r-node-v0.1.1/server/binding.node: undefined symbol: _ZN4node12EventEmitter20constructor_templateE
    at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:485:11)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:362:17)
    at require (module.js:378:17)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/home/lussy/RQuant/r-node-v0.1.1/server/rserve.js:21:15)
    at Module._compile (module.js:449:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:467:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)

I think r-node should use a lower version of nodejs, but I can't found one on Gentoo

Jamie Love

Nov 11, 2012, 7:52:45 PM11/11/12
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am the developer of R-Node.

I spent some time on this last night. The work required to make R-Node work with the current version of R-Node (0.5 or better) is going to be relatively involved.

Nodejs has altered is C++ API extensively - there is a new event system for reading/writing to sockets, and event emitter system for integrating with javascript.

Despite enjoying R-Node a lot,  I am very distracted by work and personal time is very limited. I doubt I can look at doing this update in the near future. Business must come before pleasure, at least at this time.

One thing you could try would be to use an older version of nodejs - in particular the version working on my website uses a nodejs from mid-2010. You can get the version by:

git clone git://github.com/ry/node.git
git checkout 5f8f561d610d4d308199cd8202029c89bd9e4452

You'd need to compile and install nodejs (it should just be a make/sudo make install).

I really wish I could be of more use at this time.  It is painful to me to leave software I've written in this state, but I am yet again foiled by the physical limitations of time and space.

All the best,

--
Jamie Love
Looking for custom software development? Contact us at www.nsquaredsoftware.com.

Jimmy Zhang

Jan 17, 2013, 4:23:50 PM1/17/13
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Jamie,

I am willing to go an extra mile or two to get R-Node working with the current version of node js.

Right now the current issue I'm seeing is it doesn't compile-- R-Node is looking for node_events which has been removed from node js about 2 years ago.

I bet this is just scratching the surface of what really needs to get done--if you can briefly outline what needs to happen to fix the emitter system I can take a try. What should R-Node be using instead of EventEmitter, etc?

Thanks.

Jimmy Zhang

Jan 17, 2013, 6:06:29 PM1/17/13
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
The file in question is mostly: ./server/src/binding.cc

The Connection class extends the deprecated EventEmitter, line 257.

Jamie Love

Jan 18, 2013, 5:39:39 AM1/18/13
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Yes, the basic requirement is to rewrite the Rserve<->NodeJS interface. There may be other minor adjustments necessary to the code, but they're likely to be minor.

I think it'd take me about a day, but I simply don't have that time to devote to it now, or in the near future.

Jimmy Zhang

Jan 18, 2013, 2:40:30 PM1/18/13
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Jamie,

Yup, from the node js wiki their api changes from 0.4 to 0.6:

C++ node::EventEmitter has been removed. Instead use node::MakeCallback()

As far as I'm able to discern MakeCallback is a set of methods defined in src/Node.cc.

We would need to rewrite ./server/src/binding.cc in R-node. Not sure how to start though.
--
Jimmy Zhang