Problem with users

Joel

Sep 27, 2010, 8:42:58 AM9/27/10
to r-node-users
Hi again got an user settings question

Im trying to create and use users.

So in the config.js file I edit

"authentication": {
// Authenticators can be found in the 'authenticators'
directory.
// "none", or "basic-user"
"type": "basic-user"

// Rest of authenticator configuration listed here.
//
// For "none" no configuration is necessary.
// For "basic-user":
//
usersFile: "etc/users.js"
sessionTimeout: 30 // minutes

I create a users.js file and use rnpasswd to create users

But when I try to start the server it gives me this error msg:
27 Sep 14:39:33 - (local): Loaded configuration from 'etc/config.js'

node.js:63
throw e;
^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
at Object.parse (native)
at Object.loadJsonFile (/home/joel/Hämtningar/r-node-r-node/deploy/
rnodeUtils.js:66:17)
at Object.<anonymous> (/home/joel/Hämtningar/r-node-r-node/deploy/
r-node.js:35:20)
at Module._compile (node.js:662:23)
at Module._loadScriptSync (node.js:669:10)
at Module.loadSync (node.js:538:12)
at Object.runMain (node.js:722:24)
at Array.<anonymous> (node.js:745:12)
at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:55:22)
at node.js:757:9

Seems to be some error with the
usersFile: "etc/users.js"
sessionTimeout: 30 // minutes
part but dont know what as i just more or less removed the comment
thingy and changed the name on the file.

Joel

Sep 28, 2010, 3:22:40 AM9/28/10
to r-node-users
Solved this one aswell was missing some , in the config file, but have
an other question.

Is it possible to for each user that login run an R script that will
set specific R settings for that user?

Jamie Love

Sep 28, 2010, 3:58:24 AM9/28/10
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,

Not yet - but I'll add this to the feature list.

--
Jamie Love
Looking for custom software development? Contact us at www.nsquaredsoftware.com.

Joel

Sep 28, 2010, 4:07:23 AM9/28/10
to r-node-users
Keep up the good work.

Jamie Love

Sep 28, 2010, 4:21:42 AM9/28/10
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Hiya Joel,

I'm glad you've been able to work through the issues you've had to get a running system.

One of the things I'm keen to understand is how the application could be most useful to you.  If you have a moment, and don't mind sharing, could you describe how you plan to use R-Node, what would make it better.

Thanks,
Jamie

Joel

Sep 28, 2010, 7:09:03 AM9/28/10
to r-node-users
So what do I want to get out from R-Node.

I have a database with some data that ppl want to be able to do
statistical analysis on, get plots and so on. But they dont want to
have R and have to log in/out to the database from there own computers
but rather have a nice looking webservice where they can write their R
code and get the plot or what they want from the data back to them.

And as R-node has a really good looking UI for R I was thinking of
trying it out to see if it can work out for me.

The problem with this is that most of the R functions needs to work as
I don't know what they want to use, sure there can be restrictions but
the more the better.

One thing Im curious about is how much is R-node under development? Is
it ongoing or is it more or less just bug fixes that ppl report, what
is the final goal of R-node when will it be 1.0 so to say?

Not the best description Ive given but its abit fussy on my end
aswell :D.

//Joel

Jamie Love

Sep 28, 2010, 4:00:02 PM9/28/10
to r-node...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joel,

R-node is at the stage where it works for me, in my limited area of need, but it isn't polished enough to be called v1.0,
There are a variety of reasons for this, such that it doesn't install as cleanly as I'd like and it has some problems with access to help files and some other niggles relating to access to R.

I haven't developed r-node much recently due to not having a clear idea of what to do with it.  If you are willing, then I would be happy to further develop R-Node based on your immediate needs. If you continue to let me know what you need, then I'll start implementing those features.

Regards,
Jamie