Question about Rue et al. 2009 INLA paper

Guillermina Senn

Sep 16, 2021, 12:55:56 PM9/16/21
to R-inla discussion group
Hi Håvard and team.

In Section 1.3 in the INLA paper the authors define a LGM. They write the density of the latent field x conditional to a hyperparameter vector Theta1, and the density of y conditional to a hyperparameter vector Theta2. Later they join Theta1 and Theta2 into one unique hyperparameter vector Theta.

I'm new to the topic and I'm not sure I understand correctly the logic behind this formulation. Could you give an example of a hyperparameter that could go into Theta2?

Thank you

Guillermina

Elias T. Krainski

Sep 16, 2021, 1:28:46 PM9/16/21
to R-inla discussion group
Example,
  y_i | x_i ~ N(x_i, a^2)
x_i ~ N(x_{i-1}, b^2)
so, x depends on b and y conditional on x depends on a, where a and b are hyperparameters. Generally speaking, one is the parameters of x (the latent field parameters -> hyperparameters) and the other of y conditional on y (the likelihood hyperparameters).

Elias T. Krainski

Sep 16, 2021, 1:29:54 PM9/16/21
to R-inla discussion group
... of y conditional on x (the likelihood hyperparameters).

Guillermina Senn

Sep 16, 2021, 3:46:59 PM9/16/21
to R-inla discussion group
Understood. Thank you Elias!