Crash INLA message

Bowen He

May 19, 2022, 12:06:39 PMMay 19
to R-inla discussion group

Hi, my inla() function gives the following messages:

Error in .T.2.C(x) %*% .T.2.C(y) :

  Cholmod error 'problem too large' at file ../Core/cholmod_sparse.c, line 89

Error in inla.core.safe(formula = formula, family = family, contrasts = contrasts,  :

  *** Fail to get good enough initial values. Maybe it is due to something else.

Calls: inla -> inla.core.safe

ANy help?

Thanks,

INLA help

May 19, 2022, 12:18:15 PMMay 19
to Bowen He, R-inla discussion group

I think the msg says it all.  You might have entered a matrix of dense format where a sparse matrix was expected?   I would check the input to the model and the format of the matrices. This is in the preparations in R before the inla-program is run.

Best

Bowen He

May 19, 2022, 8:43:25 PMMay 19
to R-inla discussion group
Another question is that my verbose = TRUE generates the following messages and then freeze for days with no further actions

"Optimise using DEFAULT METHOD"
"Smart optimize part I: estimate gradient using forward differences"

And this could freeze for days without proceeding with no further messages being shown in the console.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks,
BH

INLA help

May 19, 2022, 9:06:46 PMMay 19
to Bowen He, R-inla discussion group
That is weird.  Never seen this before.  Can you share so I can rerun?

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2022 3:43:25 AM

To: R-inla discussion group <r-inla-disc...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [r-inla] Crash INLA message

Bowen He

May 22, 2022, 12:15:39 AMMay 22
to R-inla discussion group
Hi,

I found that the mesh resolution of the spde plays a lot of part in this. When the resolution is too small, the smart optimize part I never finishes and freezes for days and when the mesh is coarser, the program goes on without a problem.

Another question is: is there any way in INLA() to constrain the estimation of the model parameters so that the mean of the linear predictor of the predictions coordinates can only be positive? Thanks!

Thanks