Interpretation of BLUPs

Alexander Jack

Jul 19, 2024, 2:51:53 PM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to R-inla discussion group
Hi all,

I have a model with several ar(1) processes. I am having trouble interpreting the output of model$summary.random$mean. I would like to plot these BLUPs against time and interpret them. The formula in question is:

f(as.factor(idtime3), scale(temp), model="ar1", constr=TRUE)

idtime3 is the year (1-15 in the output) and temp is a climate covariate I'm interested in. I would like help understanding the mean and the credible intervals around it from the output (attached). Some books have pointed me toward these as "smoothing" parameters, but ultimately what I want to know is some way to discuss how this variable changes with time...
Screenshot 2024-07-19 134751.png

Helpdesk (Haavard Rue)

Jul 20, 2024, 12:10:03 PM (yesterday) Jul 20
to Alexander Jack, R-inla discussion group

you should not use 'as.factor(idtime3))' as argument, can you use just

f(idtime3, scale(temp), model="ar1")

instead ???

let me know if that change anything.

otherwise,

model$summary.random$idtime3$mean

will give the pointwise mean and sd, for the AR1 process at time 1, 2, ..., 15.
(if you have years missing, you need to add the argument f(..., values=1:15)

--
Håvard Rue
he...@r-inla.org

Alexander Jack

Jul 20, 2024, 12:15:44 PM (yesterday) Jul 20
to Helpdesk, R-inla discussion group
I guess the reason why I wanted to use it as a factor was because I didn't want to assume it was monotonically increasing. So if each y is the Delta in the regression coefficient what would the fixed effect for scale(temp) mean?

Alexander Jack

Jul 20, 2024, 12:18:24 PM (yesterday) Jul 20
to Helpdesk, R-inla discussion group
In the same regression as this random ar process