Discrepancy in Spatiotemporal Model Outcome

Tatiana Pineda Portella

Jul 9, 2024, 1:35:18 AM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to R-inla discussion group
Hello,

I ran this model several times about two years ago:

model_final<- inla(casos ~ covariates + f(idarea, model = "bym", graph = g)+ f(idtime, model = "iid")+ f(idtime1, model = "rw1")+ f(idarea1,model="iid", ##type two interaction group=idtime.int, control.group=list(model="rw1")), family = "nbinomial", data = mapa1, E=E, control.predictor = list(compute = TRUE), control.compute=list(dic=TRUE, waic=TRUE, cpo=TRUE, return.marginals.predictor=TRUE))

Now I run the same model with the same data and get completely different results.

What could have gone wrong?  Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tatiana

Abi Riley

Jul 9, 2024, 3:45:02 PM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to R-inla discussion group
Hi Tatiana,

Have you tried setting a seed in your code? (set.seed(123)

I had this issue, I think it's because INLA is an approximation method and doesn't always converge in the same way. You could check the sort of INLA trace plots or try a more informative prior to guide it slightly.

Maybe someone has a more mathematical answer, but these worked for me!

Thanks,
Abi

FredrikLAa

Jul 19, 2024, 4:35:11 PM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to R-inla discussion group
Hi,

Have you updated INLA since last time? If "yes", have you tried using inla.mode = 'classic' ? Now the default is the new computational mode. I do not think they should give too different results, but classic was the default before. The INLA developer team should be able to tell more.

Moussa Tao

2:20 AM (16 hours ago) 2:20 AM
to FredrikLAa, R-inla discussion group

Hello, how to verify the efficience of  model us INLA ans SPDE?