Constructing a reasonable mesh for road traffic crashes

Hossein Baghishani

Jun 12, 2021, 3:14:10 AM6/12/21
to R-inla discussion group
Hi all,

Would it be possible to create a good mesh for the data (shown in the attached image)? If so, what should the arguments be set?

For a further explanation: the data are related to road traffic crashes where their corresponding locations are shown in the figure. For each car crash, some features are recorded.

Thanks in advance and all the best,
Hossein
Locations.png

Finn Lindgren

Jun 14, 2021, 7:34:11 AM6/14/21
to Hossein Baghishani, R-inla discussion group
Hi Hossein,

assuming that you want a 2D spatial model across the space as a whole, and not a road-network restricted model, I would suggest one of these two approaches:

1. Use the crash locations as location input to inla.mesh.2d, specify "cutoff" to identify the desired resolution near the roads, and use a larger max.edge value for how densely to fill in the gaps.
2. Use inla.nonconvex.hull on the crash locations to create a "buffer zone" around the crashes/roads and use that as the inner boundary for the mesh, and specify max.edge to control the triangle size inside that subdomain and the domain outside.

Finn

Finn Lindgren
email: finn.l...@gmail.com

Hossein Baghishani

Jun 14, 2021, 5:26:52 PM6/14/21
to Finn Lindgren, R-inla discussion group
Thank you so much Finn,

I'll try to work on both of your suggestions. As you noticed, I'm going to model the whole space; however, by your comment, another question engages my mind: Is there a road-network restricted model that I could implement?

Further, I plan to apply a spatial-varying Poisson model to the data. Would the road-network restricted model be a better choice for this purpose?

Best,
Hossein

Finn Lindgren

Jun 14, 2021, 5:35:38 PM6/14/21
to Hossein Baghishani, R-inla discussion group
People have been using and working on roadwork network Poisson point process models, but I'm not aware of any ready-out-of-the-box interface for such models.

Whether a plain 2D spatial point process model works for your case probably depends on what the goal of the analysis is.

Finn