Punctuation

Eeveelyn

Feb 5, 2009, 1:13:47 PM2/5/09
to qww'xzx
ll'll; I've noticed most of us are working in qww'xzx punctuation in
our normal posts;; I was curious as to how you are all are deciding
the number of semicolons apply to a particular punctuation mark;;
Here's what I've been doing;

: , ; = ;
. = ;;
? = ;;;
! = ;;;;

Eeveelyn -l

Alex Fink

Feb 6, 2009, 2:24:18 PM2/6/09
to qww'xzx
On Feb 5, 10:13 am, Eeveelyn <ktbad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ll'll; I've noticed most of us are working in qww'xzx punctuation in
> our normal posts;; I was curious as to how you are all are deciding
> the number of semicolons apply to a particular punctuation mark;;

ll; Here's how I'd describe what I've been doing; although the
description is probably incomplete;; ;;

; = ","
;; = perhaps ";"; a significant sentence-internal boundary;;;
;; ;; = ":" or "---" or something; roughly; here's an explanation or
elaboration of that last
;;; = "."; sentence end
Or; you could read my writing more Hemingwaywise than Gibbonwise;;
then ";;" would be like a period and ";;;" like a stronger period;;;
And if I came upon ";;;;" I might think 'section end';; for example;
we mathematicians like to mark 'end of proof' with a little box; which
I might render ";;;;" in qww'xzx;;; Or it seems like it would make a
good rendering of English emphatic "_period_." = 'that's the end of
that; no ifs ands or buts';;;

Based on what we envision for the first few rungs; it feels more
qww'xzx-ish to me to not confine the expression of exclamation to a
punctuation mark; but to suffuse our exclamations with suitable -l and
-k emotive words instead;;;

I don't know what to do about question-mark;; when I've wanted one so
far I've lapsed and used good ol' "?", 'cause none of the semicolons
feel quite right;;;

Alex-l

Brett Williams

Feb 9, 2009, 11:59:07 AM2/9/09
to qww...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Eeveelyn <ktba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ll'll; I've noticed most of us are working in qww'xzx punctuation in
> our normal posts;; I was curious as to how you are all are deciding
> the number of semicolons apply to a particular punctuation mark;;

Well, on one level what I've been thinking is simple;; ;; I've been
thinking that more semicolons equals a longer pause in speaking;;;
The question then is; what does a given length of pause mean in
qww'xzx?!;;; :)

> Here's what I've been doing;
>
> : , ; = ;

One semicolon would be the shortest pause; so clearly; yeah; it's like
a comma or a semicolon; just a little pause; in the middle; of a
sentence;;; I like having way more single semicolons in qww'xzx than
English uses commas; though;; I think of them as subcomma; a very
weak comma;;;

> . = ;;

Two semicolons is clearly enough to end a sentence; true;; but I feel
like it doesn't necessarily end a sentence (it didn't end this one; by
English rules);;; Sometimes I like to use it where a comma or a
semicolon would separate larger phrases in English;; other times I use
it at the end of a sentence that feels like it flows directly into the
next one;; any time where I don't feel a full pause is necessary;;;

> ? = ;;;

Lately I've been using three anywhere where I'd put a full stop pause
after a sentence;;; Following your idea; Eeveelyn; I specifically
think of questions as somewhere where this sort of pause is
appropriate;; ;; Even after a rhetorical question in qww'xzx I feel
like there's a certain beat of pause that follows; to sort of give you
a half a moment to begin to think about answering the question;;;
I've usually been writing questions with something like " ?;;; "; but
I expect that sometime on -k or -j we'll acquire a basic question word
or two to use instead of a question mark;;;

> ! = ;;;;

There's something very definitive about four;; It doesn't have quite
the excitement of an exclamation point; I feel like;; but it shares
with the exclamation point a definitiveness and certitude;;; Four
semicolons is like a long solid consolidating pause after a thought
that says; "and there you have it!";;;

Now I feel like I have to say something definitive and concludey; so I
can end with four semicolons;;; Well; the above are my first
thoughts; and we've barely gotten into the combinations like ;; ;; and
;; ; and ;;; ;;; on this round of discussion;; but I feel like this
conversation has been very constructive and respectful so far;; I'm
encouraged to believe that we can successfully decide the semantics of
qww'xzx words and symbols cooperatively;;;;

<3,
mungojelly - l

Eeveelyn

Feb 10, 2009, 7:48:04 AM2/10/09
to qww'xzx

> > ? = ;;;
>
> Lately I've been using three anywhere where I'd put a full stop pause
> after a sentence;;;  Following your idea; Eeveelyn; I specifically
> think of questions as somewhere where this sort of pause is
> appropriate;; ;;  Even after a rhetorical question in qww'xzx I feel
> like there's a certain beat of pause that follows; to sort of give you
> a half a moment to begin to think about answering the question;;;
> I've usually been writing questions with something like " ?;;; "; but
> I expect that sometime on -k or -j we'll acquire a basic question word
> or two to use instead of a question mark;;;
>
> <3,
> mungojelly - l

After I posted this I was thinking about it;; I came to a similar
conclusion about perhaps using a question word in the future;; As it
is right now trying to set a number of ";" equal to "?" just doesn't
feel very nice;; Something like the Chinese "ma?" or the Japanese
"ka?" would suit our purposes better;; Even using an emphatic; like a
word for "!" might be better than using a number of semicolons;; I
think after a few months when we have -j and -k we should revisit the
topic of punctuation;;

Eeveelyn -l