a first (pronounceable) name for qww'xzx

mungojelly (SwiftRain, swifty)

Jan 31, 2009, 9:40:38 AM1/31/09
to qww'xzx
It's an odd habit of mine to not give the collective conlangs that I
start names. I've always had this feeling that naming the language
completely would be asserting a sort of ownership over it that I don't
want to have. That's why I gave qww'xzx a half formed name, clearly
missing sounds & meanings to be supplied by y'all, so that it will be
at least in part named by us together and not just by myself.

It's convenient to be able to think of some sound to go with the
symbol, though, and one will inevitably tend to stick in your mind.
Since I've been leaving the main phonetic sound of the letters for
others to decide, my mind found another route, and since I think the
route it found won't limit much the possibilities for future sound
inventors, I might as well tell y'all what it is.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the idea that the slowest way to say the
letters could be with a phonetic alphabet. The one that keeps running
through my mind is, oddly, the RAF phonetic alphabet used from
1942-1943: Apple Beer Charlie Dog Edward Freddy George Harry In Jug/
Johnny King Love Mother Nuts Orange Peter Queen Roger/Robert Sugar
Tommy Uncle Vic William X-ray Yoke/Yorker Zebra

That would make the first strange pronunciation of qww'xzx: Queen
William William, X-Ray Zebra X-Ray

So I've sometimes been thinking of qww'xzx to myself as "Queen
William".

Not that I necessarily recommend that.

I just thought I should own up to it.

ll;

<3,
mungojelly-l

Eeveelyn

Feb 3, 2009, 3:40:41 PM2/3/09
to qww'xzx
I was doing some brainstorming today while I was goofing off at work
about -l. As it is right now it's really complex for me to wrap by
brain around without a pen in hand. Thinking of it this way makes it a
lot easier! I think I'm going to do the same or something similar.