Defining a general quantum state

Charu Gupta

Jun 23, 2022, 1:51:38 AM6/23/22
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hello everyone,
Is it possible to define a general quantum state as -
\ket{\psi} = A\ket{e}+B\ket{g},
such that I do not assign any value to A and B and also define the state in a basis {\ket{e}, \ket{g}}, which is not the computational basis.
With such a state, is it possible to calculate density matrix.?

If it is not possible in QuTip, can someone please suggest an open software which can be used for such calculation? It'll be really helpful to me.

Thanks in advance!

Simon Cross

Jun 24, 2022, 12:16:42 PM6/24/22
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charu,

If you would like A and B to be symbolic variables, as, for example,
in the sympy library, then QuTiP does not currently support this.

If you would like to determine rho, the density matrix, from psi by
hand, then use rho = psi * psi.dag().

Regards,
Simon

Gaurav Saxena

Jun 27, 2022, 1:26:45 AM6/27/22
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charu,

I think 'tequila' might be useful in your case.

Best,
Gaurav

Gaurav Saxena(Ph.D. Candidate)
Department of Physics and Astronomy