Error in matrix exponentiation?

Skip to the first unread message

Analabha Roy

8 Nov 2022, 10:35:4308/11/2022
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hi all,

Unless I'm missing something, a hermitian operator H and exp(-iH) have the same eigenvectors. So, the eigenvectors of H and exp(-iH) should have inner products of either 0 or 1. However, the code below yields a different result

Full code:

Relevant excerpt:
jx = qutip.jmat(N,'x')
H0 = jx * jx
H0_expi = (-(1j) * (H0)).expm()
_, estates_H0 = H0.eigenstates()
_, estates_expi = H0_expi.eigenstates()
identity = [[np.abs(state.overlap(U0state)) for state in estates_H0] for U0state in estates_expi]

This code, executed in jupyter, yields some values between 0 and 1.

Screenshot from 2022-11-08 21-03-22.png
Is there something wrong with matrix exponentiation, or is my reasoning wrong?

Thanks and Regards,
AR

Simon Cross

8 Nov 2022, 14:02:2608/11/2022
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Analabha,

The eigenvalues of jx * jx are degenerate, so the eigenvectors are not unique.

If there are no repeated eigenvalues, then your expectation is correct, although it is true for any diagonalizable matrix without repeated eigenvalues, not only Hermitian ones.

Regards,
Simon

Analabha Roy

9 Nov 2022, 04:39:0209/11/2022
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks. That was it.  So if I break the symmetry that causes the degeneracy, for instance, do sx^2 - \gamma sy^2 for small \gamma, the degeneracy should break...

AR

Regards,
Simon

Analabha Roy