What is the best way to take the control amplitudes generated by the optimal control routines and use them with mesolve / mcsolve?

Bill Huggins

Aug 4, 2016, 5:02:47 PM8/4/16
to QuTiP: Quantum Toolbox in Python
Hello there,

In order to determine how robust my results are to the approximations that I've made I have been trying to take the control amplitudes generated using the optimal control features of QuTiP and use mesolve to run the evolution forward again with some small variations. However, I've been having some trouble with this approach.

It seems that (even without changing my Hamiltonian or the the other parameters of my evolution at all) I run into numerical difficulties. In order to simply replay the evolution under the exact same conditions I have had to increase the nsteps parameter for mesolve from 1000 up into the millions or billions. In some cases even the maximum value for ints isn't sufficient and the solver breaks down. Are there some other parameters that I should be changing for mesolve to avoid this? It makes sense that having the coefficients for my Hamiltonian defined stepwise could cause some instability but the optimal control routines must avoid this difficulty.

Thank you kindly for your help,

Bill (William) Huggins

Alex Pitchford

Sep 1, 2016, 1:26:09 PM9/1/16
to qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,
Sorry for the delay again. Time flies.

I am not really an expert in the mesolve, but I don't think nsteps should need to go up to millions. Have you solved this now or do you still need help. You could send me your H config and I could look into it.

Alex