Jack as output

Piscium

Jun 8, 2020, 4:52:16 PM6/8/20
to quod-libet-...@googlegroups.com
I recently started using Jack. Is it possible to configure QL to
output to Jack (instead of Pulseaudio)? I guess this is the relevant
setting:

File → Preferences → Playback → Output Pipeline

What should I put there for Gstreamer to output to Jack? Or should I
instead configure Gstreamer?

Piscium

Jun 8, 2020, 5:45:41 PM6/8/20
to quod-libet-...@googlegroups.com
Found the solution to my question. It is:

jackaudiosink

It works well. Sorry for the noise, but in any case it is good to
write it down in case someone else is interested. I am very happy with
Jack so far, it is better than Pulseaudio.

bk bk

Apr 10, 2021, 6:23:02 PM4/10/21
to Quod Libet Development
Hi!
Quod Libet seems amazing, exactly what I need to manage my sound library. But I can't connect to Jack:
jackaudiosink spawn a mono output...

Piscium

May 16, 2021, 9:06:54 AM5/16/21
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 23:23, bk bk <rafael....@blindekinder.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> Quod Libet seems amazing, exactly what I need to manage my sound library. But I can't connect to Jack:
> jackaudiosink spawn a mono output...

Hi,
Only saw this email today. No idea what could be be wrong for you. I
am not a jack expert. What I can say is that I am using on Arch: jack2
+ Cadence. I have not done any jack settings at all directly, rather
using the Cadence GUI, Cadence does configures it for me. The only
settings that required effort for me was disabling Pulseaudio.

bk bk

May 17, 2021, 6:09:58 AM5/17/21
to Quod Libet Development
Hi,
I solved the issue, sorry I forgot to post here.
I installed last version 4.4.0, and jack is proposed in the config, no need to type 'audiosink'.
For the mono issue: mono plugin was installed. I thought it would add a toggle feature, but it's a setting.

I also use Jack2 and Cadence. Since I don't use auto-connect mode (not always connecting to soundcard out 1+2), I need clients that are constant, not refreshing and changing name on each play/stop, and last version with 'jack' setting is, good new!

if you use Jack, it is always a good idea to disable Pulseaudio...

Piscium

May 17, 2021, 6:48:32 PM5/17/21
On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 11:10, bk bk <rafael....@blindekinder.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I solved the issue, sorry I forgot to post here.
> I installed last version 4.4.0, and jack is proposed in the config, no need to type 'audiosink'.

I am also running 4.4.0. I don't know what you mean by 'proposed'. For
me the output pipeline by default is blank. If I put just 'jack' I get
a message 'Invalid Gstreamer output pipeline, no element "jack". It
works with 'jackaudiosink'.

> For the mono issue: mono plugin was installed. I thought it would add a toggle feature, but it's a setting.
>
> I also use Jack2 and Cadence. Since I don't use auto-connect mode (not always connecting to soundcard out 1+2), I need clients that are constant, not refreshing and changing name on each play/stop, and last version with 'jack' setting is, good new!
>
> if you use Jack, it is always a good idea to disable Pulseaudio...

To be clear, I disable auto-start of Pulseaudio and it was difficult
to figure out how to do it. But then when I start in Cadence the
Pulseaudio bridge, this causes Pulseaudio to start. I use manual start
and works well, last year the automatic start of the bridge did not
always worked well.

bk bk

May 18, 2021, 2:43:23 AM5/18/21
to Quod Libet Development
Jack is proposed: a check box Use Jack for playback if available.

Pulseaudio bridge: same for me, they don't like to cohabit. I use PA on my regular system (Mint, with all my everyday apps), and Jack only on my sound dedicated system (Kubuntu+KXStudio repos, low latency kernel, jack, and all my sound apps). I couldn't uninstall it without uninstalling Plasma, like you I disabled it I don't really remember how... maybe a pasuspender on Cadence launch

Nick B

May 18, 2021, 4:16:29 AM5/18/21
to quod-libet-...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I'm glad the new Jack output is working for you. Yes, auto-connect is not for everyone especially given the way QL handles pipelines; I tried making this more "constant" as you say, but much of the code would need a rewrite with these new assumptions.

Meanwhile, you can work around this (and other app's similar behaviour, e.g. this Clementine issue) well with some partial / regex matching on jack client name in qjackctl's patchbay (see that issue for examples).

FWIW I generally use Jack with the PA bridge (managed by the Ubuntu studio-controls app), and though it can be a bit unstable with some hardware setups, mostly it works well and allows "normal" apps well.

Nick

Piscium

May 18, 2021, 2:32:17 PM5/18/21
On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 07:43, bk bk <rafael....@blindekinder.com> wrote:

> Jack is proposed: a check box Use Jack for playback if available.

I don't know how I missed that, maybe it is a new feature that was not
there one year ago when I set up QL. It works for me.
Thanks!

Nick B

May 19, 2021, 3:53:26 AM5/19/21
On 18/05/2021 19:32, Piscium wrote:
> I don't know how I missed that, maybe it is a new feature that was not
> there one year ago when I set up QL. It works for me.
> Thanks!

Yes - see https://github.com/quodlibet/quodlibet/pull/3511

Piscium

May 20, 2021, 2:40:24 PM5/20/21