How to select audio device when running quodlibet?

Chris Green

Oct 16, 2020, 5:44:17 AM10/16/20
to quod-libet-...@googlegroups.com
I am a new quodlibet user, but a long time Unix/Linux user.

I'm running Quod Libet 4.2.1 on xubuntu 20.04 and it's excellent,
thank you all.

I want to be able to select which audio device quodlibet uses,
preferably from the command line somehow as I want to use it 'locally'
on the xubuntu system via the normal sound output and 'remotely'
sending output to a USB sound device.

Running the little python code snippet from
https://quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guide/playback/backends.html
gives me:-

chris$ ./audev.py
pulsesink device='alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo'
pulsesink device='alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo'

However, having read 'man gst-launch-1.0', I am none the wiser about
what I would need to put in the quodlibet config file 'gst_pipeline'
entry to select one or the other.

I'm quite happy to write a wrapper script to modify the configuration
file to one or other device and then run quodlibet if there's no
direct way of doing it from the command line. What's stumping me is
the exact syntax required for the gst_pipeline entry.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

--
Chris Green

Chris Green

Oct 18, 2020, 10:04:56 AM10/18/20
to Quod Libet Development
I worked out what the problem was.  You need to remove the quotes from what is returned by the little Python script, then it works fin in quodlibet to set the sink device.  It would be handy to have a command line option to set it though.

Chris Green

Oct 18, 2020, 10:07:03 AM10/18/20
to Quod Libet Development
Sorry about the top-post, I used Google Groups to reply, horrible!

--
Chris Green