Jumbo-Converters & CML -- sunsetting of Mercurial in Bitbucket

Oliver Stueker

Dec 6, 2019, 1:26:05 PM12/6/19
to quixot...@googlegroups.com, Mark Williamson
Dear Peter, Mark and Quixote team,

As you are probably aware, Atlassian has announced in August that they will be sunsetting their support of Mercurial in Bitbucket, a process that will end with the removal of all Mercurial repositories on June 1st, 2020.

From 2014 to 2016, our team at Memorial University has expanded the JUMBO-converters as well as a few CML-CompChem dictionaries, however so far we fell short at contributing our changes back to the original projects.

Now with the risk of all the work being lost when Bitbucket pulls the plug on Mercurial, it's time to take action.

The first course of action from my side will be to create Pull-Requests containing our work done in the JUMBO-converters and xml-cml.org repositories, because it will be much harder to merge them after the Mercurial-repositories have been moved elsewhere or converted to Git.

Next is the question of what will happen to all the Mercurial repositories at https://bitbucket.org/wwmm/ and https://bitbucket.org/cml/ ?
  • Do all repositories need to be migrated?
    I think I've counted 50 repositories but I have no idea how many of them contain data that has later-on been combined into other repositories.
  • Should they be converted to Git and re-uploaded to BitBucket?
    As I understand, data about issues and pull-requests will likely get lost during the process.
    Wikis are repositories as well and can/need to be converted from Mercurial to Git  as well.
    It might be possible to export and re-import the issues though.
  • Maybe move to another hosting site?  GitHub? GitLab?
    Unfortunately https://github.com/wwmm and https://github.com/cml are already taken.

I'm happy to pitch in and work on migrating some of the repositories.

As I had been working with Git quite a lot before my work on JUMBO-converters, I have been using the git-remote-gh plugin the whole time.  This allows you to use the Git command line tools to work on hg repositories transparently.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver Stueker
Research Consultant, ACENET
709.864.3021www.ace-net.ca | @computeatlantic

A Compute Canada Regional Partner

Peter Murray-Rust

Dec 6, 2019, 1:43:19 PM12/6/19
to Quixote mail list, Mark Williamson
Thanks Oliver!

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 6:26 PM Oliver Stueker <oliver....@mun.ca> wrote:
Dear Peter, Mark and Quixote team,

As you are probably aware, Atlassian has announced in August that they will be sunsetting their support of Mercurial in Bitbucket, a process that will end with the removal of all Mercurial repositories on June 1st, 2020.

I wasn't...

From 2014 to 2016, our team at Memorial University has expanded the JUMBO-converters as well as a few CML-CompChem dictionaries, however so far we fell short at contributing our changes back to the original projects.

Would be interesting to know what you added :-)

Now with the risk of all the work being lost when Bitbucket pulls the plug on Mercurial, it's time to take action.

Agreed

The first course of action from my side will be to create Pull-Requests containing our work done in the JUMBO-converters and xml-cml.org repositories, because it will be much harder to merge them after the Mercurial-repositories have been moved elsewhere or converted to Git.

I have now migrated personally to Git.

Next is the question of what will happen to all the Mercurial repositories at https://bitbucket.org/wwmm/ and https://bitbucket.org/cml/ ?
  • Do all repositories need to be migrated?
    I think I've counted 50 repositories but I have no idea how many of them contain data that has later-on been combined into other repositories.
There's a lot of useful stuff - I'd hate to lose it. I have moved away from chemistry for the last 5 years but am now returning so this has a lot of useful stuff to revist
  • Should they be converted to Git and re-uploaded to BitBucket?
    As I understand, data about issues and pull-requests will likely get lost during the process.
    Wikis are repositories as well and can/need to be converted from Mercurial to Git  as well.
    It might be possible to export and re-import the issues though.
I don't personally care about issues or pull-request at this distance in time.
we can call them something else.

I'm happy to pitch in and work on migrating some of the repositories.

Great

As I had been working with Git quite a lot before my work on JUMBO-converters, I have been using the git-remo.rsute-gh plugin the whole time.  This allows you to use the Git command line tools to work on hg repositories transparently.

I'll be advised by you!

Let's talk I am peter.murray.rust on both Google hangouts and Skype and I can also do Zoom.
What timezone are you?
Keen to find out what you are most interested in. I have been working on extracting knowledge from PDFs and am interested in doing this for chemistry again. e.g. for spectra and reactions. And we have serious help from the Chem4Word team (only on Windows)

What are your thoughts?

Easier to talk than write them all

Cheers,
Oliver

Oliver Stueker
Research Consultant, ACENET
709.864.3021www.ace-net.ca | @computeatlantic

A Compute Canada Regional Partner

"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069

Oliver Stueker

Dec 6, 2019, 3:22:48 PM12/6/19
to Quixote project on QC databases
Thanks Peter,

From 2014 to 2016, our team at Memorial University has expanded the JUMBO-converters as well as a few CML-CompChem dictionaries, however so far we fell short at contributing our changes back to the original projects.

Would be interesting to know what you added :-)

I've created the Pull-Requests.

Let's talk I am peter.murray.rust on both Google hangouts and Skype and I can also do Zoom.
What timezone are you?

Talking sound good and Google hangouts will probably work.  I'm in Newfoundland so UTC-0330, which means it's almost time to go home for me now.

We can set up a call next week.

Cheers,
Oliver

Peter Murray-Rust

Dec 6, 2019, 4:21:23 PM12/6/19
to Quixote mail list
no rush!

Peter Murray-Rust

Dec 7, 2019, 5:26:47 AM12/7/19
to Quixote mail list
sorry I wasn't online yesterday. Might try in (say) 8 hours.