Error while trying to install lispbuilder-sdl

Simon

Dec 5, 2010, 9:25:59 PM12/5/10
to Quicklisp
I typed: (ql:quickload "lispbuilder-sdl")

It printed:

To load "lispbuilder-sdl":
Load 1 ASDF system:
lispbuilder-sdl

Unable to load any of the alternatives:
((:FRAMEWORK #1="cocoahelper") (:DEFAULT #1#))
[Condition of type LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR]

Restarts:
0: [RETRY] Try loading the foreign library again.
1: [USE-VALUE] Use another library instead.
2: [TRY-RECOMPILING] Recompile cocoahelper and try loading it again
3: [RETRY] Retry loading component ("cocoahelper" "cocoahelper"
"cocoahelper").
4: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating loading component ("cocoahelper"
"cocoahelper" "cocoahelper") as having been successful.
5: [ABORT] Give up on "lispbuilder-sdl"
--more--

Backtrace:
0: (CFFI::FL-ERROR "Unable to load any of the alternatives:~% ~S")
[:EXTERNAL]
1: ((FLET CFFI::%DO-LOAD) #<FOREIGN-LIBRARY {1003B287A1}>
COCOAHELPER (:OR (:FRAMEWORK #1="cocoahelper") (:DEFAULT #1#)))
2: (LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY COCOAHELPER)[:EXTERNAL]

Elliott Slaughter

Dec 5, 2010, 9:33:43 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com, Luke Crook
I believe this is a lispbuilder issue and should probably be reported to the lispbuilder mailing list.

Hope that helps.
--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Zach Beane

Dec 5, 2010, 9:46:02 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Simon <simon.da...@gmail.com> writes:

> I typed: (ql:quickload "lispbuilder-sdl")
>
> It printed:
>
> To load "lispbuilder-sdl":
> Load 1 ASDF system:
> lispbuilder-sdl
>
> Unable to load any of the alternatives:
> ((:FRAMEWORK #1="cocoahelper") (:DEFAULT #1#))
> [Condition of type LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR]

On Mac OS X, lispbuilder-sdl needs a little extra work to be done
outside of Quicklisp to get it working. You'll need to do this:

cd ~/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/lispbuilder-<version>/lispbuilder-sdl/cocoahelper
make

It would be nice if this could be integrated into the system definition
of lispbuilder-sdl, but I'm not sure what that will take.

Zach

Simon Pratt

Dec 5, 2010, 9:50:44 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
That seems to have worked.

Could the loading process stop and print out instructions at that step?

Zach Beane

Dec 5, 2010, 9:52:53 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Simon Pratt <simon.da...@gmail.com> writes:

> That seems to have worked.
>
> Could the loading process stop and print out instructions at that step?

The loading process could run the "make" step automatically just as
easily, but the responsibility lies more on the lispbuilder side than
the Quicklisp side, and I haven't filed a bug report for lispbuilder
about it.

Zach

Elliott Slaughter

Dec 5, 2010, 9:53:48 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Does quicklisp provide the lispbuilder-sdl binary packages for OS X (see http://code.google.com/p/lispbuilder/downloads/list). (I would have assumed that to be the case.) I believe the binary packages should solve that problem as long as they are extracted into the lispbuilder-sdl directory properly. Otherwise, yes, file a bug with lispbuilder.

Zach Beane

Dec 5, 2010, 9:58:41 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Elliott Slaughter <elliotts...@gmail.com> writes:

> Does quicklisp provide the lispbuilder-sdl binary packages for OS X (see http:/
> /code.google.com/p/lispbuilder/downloads/list). (I would have assumed that to
> be the case.)

No, quicklisp provides only the sources for lispbuilder.

Zach

Elliott Slaughter

Dec 5, 2010, 10:41:31 PM12/5/10
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, well that would make things problematic.

Andrea

Jan 13, 2011, 2:26:39 AM1/13/11
to Quicklisp
Guys,

I have tried to install lispbuilder-sdl several times from quicklisp,
and I always run into a similar error:

* (ql:quickload "lispbuilder-sdl")
To load "lispbuilder-sdl":
Load 1 ASDF system:
lispbuilder-sdl

debugger invoked on a LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR:
Unable to load any of the alternatives:
((:FRAMEWORK "cocoahelper") (:DEFAULT "cocoahelper"))

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
0: [RETRY ] Try loading the foreign library again.
1: [USE-VALUE ] Use another library instead.
2: [TRY-RECOMPILING] Recompile cocoahelper and try loading it again
3: [RETRY ] Retry
"cocoahelper").
4: [ACCEPT ] Continue, treating
"cocoahelper")
as having been successful.
5: [ABORT ] Give up on "lispbuilder-sdl"
6: Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(CFFI::FL-ERROR "Unable to load any of the alternatives:~% ~S")
[:EXTERNAL]
0]

I did try Zach's suggestion (cd in ~/quicklisp/.../cocoahelper, then
make) but it did not change a single thing. Does any of you have any
idea what could be the cause?

--Andrea

Zach Beane

Jan 14, 2011, 10:22:23 AM1/14/11
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Andrea <andrea...@gmail.com> writes:

Hmm, that is weird. I would expect the "make" bit to succeed. What do
you get back from this?

(probe-file (asdf:system-relative-pathname 'lispbuilder-sdl
"cocoahelper/cocoahelper.dylib"))

Or this:

(asdf:system-source-directory 'lispbuilder-sdl)

Zach

jeremy...@instacart.com

Jun 17, 2018, 3:27:41 AM6/17/18
to Quicklisp
One cause of this problem is trying to use a 32-bit Lisp on a 64-bit Mac. The error message that would tell you what's happening ends up getting swallowed somewhere.