install the software for I2C on Banana PI

Givi

Feb 7, 2016, 12:57:19 PM2/7/16
to Quick2Wire Users

Team,
I been trying to follow the web pages and install the software for I2C on Banana PI, with Rasbian OS.  Certain parts work as expected, but I am not able to complete everything with satisfaction.  For example in "https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/installation.html"  it seems I am not able to :

$ tar xvfz virtualenv-X.X.tar.gz

It returns :
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: existing now

OR, " i2cdetect -y 0" returns :

"UU" in column "4" Row "30:"

Only " i2cdetect -y 2" returns :
"20" in column "0" Row "20:"

Which might be expected due to some differences in Rasberry PI and Banana PI.  However, its been frustrating just to install the software.  When I list the Modules in "python3", there is no sign of "quick2wire.gpio" or anything like it.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

Givi

Andrew Scheller

Feb 10, 2016, 7:55:56 PM2/10/16
to Quick2Wire Users
I don't have a BananaPi, but...

> $ tar xvfz virtualenv-X.X.tar.gz
>
> It returns :
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: child returned status 1
> tar: Error is not recoverable: existing now

...sounds like your file didn't download properly (perhaps it got
corrupted, or perhaps the link you're trying to use is now stale).

Andrew

Andrew Scheller

Feb 10, 2016, 8:06:53 PM2/10/16
to Quick2Wire Users
Ahh, the link in your original message didn't work, but I've just
found http://virtualenv.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation.html

Where it says "X.X" in the filenames it doesn't literally mean "X.X",
but whatever the latest version on
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv/ says, e.g. you'd want to
replace all the "X.X" with "14.0.6" e.g.
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/v/virtualenv/virtualenv-14.0.6.tar.gz

If you're not familiar with running Linux commands, then you'll find
much more help and advice for the Raspberry Pi than the Banana Pi, as
it has a *much* bigger community (and better support IMHO from its
creators).
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/ might be a good starting point.

Andrew

Givi

Feb 11, 2016, 11:38:34 AM2/11/16
to Quick2Wire Users
Hi Andrew,

I feel kinda stupid now.  I follow direction and there is nothing mentioned that we need to put in a version number in that file name etc.  But that is OK.  I appreciate you replying to my Post.  I was kinda wondering why all the posts are so old and there is no activity.  I Felt like I am in a ghost town.  I'll try your suggestions tonight.  Do you mind if I ask a few more questions later and keep in touch?  Please let me know.

Regards,

Givi
Message has been deleted