Cleves TT Results May 28

Patrick McMullen

May 30, 2024, 2:06:42 PMMay 30
to Queen City Wheels
Seventeen riders came out to challenge themselves at Cleves on Tuesday (results attached).  Although we're happy with the turnout, we're disappointed that we cannot seem to attract more women to this discipline.  Ginny Lenahan was our sole female competitor, turning in another incredible time!

We had three PR's including Rick Knowles, Marcus Naegeli, and Jonathan Walters.  After struggling with various health issues that started with Covid, Tom Boder is officially back in form, having turned in his best time in three years!  Congratulations to all on what was a very pleasant evening for pedaling hard with temps in the low 70's.

Jonathan proved to be the highlight of the evening as he entertained us with the maiden voyage of his new pedal-powered racing machine (see attached pic).  In doing so, he easily crushed the course record with a time of 17:52.  He achieved a max speed in excess of 45 mph as he averaged 34.4 mph on the 10.23 mile course!

For the uninitiated, Jonathan is riding what we classify as an HPV (Human Powered Vehicle).  This category of racing allows any and all means of aerodynamic advantage.  For Jonathan, this means a fully enclosed three-wheel monocoque carbon fiber frame/shell which was custom built for him in Romania.  For those interested, he is running 65x47 front chainrings with 140mm crank arms and an 11-speed cogset (11x36).  It has two 406 wheels in front and a 700c in the rear.  At least he no longer needs to invest in expensive skinsuits!

This vehicle reminds us all of the importance of aerodynamics when considering our own road/TT bikes.  More importantly, be reminded (and don't despair!), if you are riding a standard road/TT bike, you are not competing against either HPV's or recumbents, both of which are scored separately at Cleves, for obvious reasons.

Thanks to John Dallman for assisting at the Start/Finish.  Much appreciated!

  D8078FE5-60D2-4D88-876B-DDF6E85376C3.jpeg

Cleves Results 052824.xlsx

Chuck Gibson

May 31, 2024, 3:59:02 AMMay 31
to pmcmul...@gmail.com, Queen City Wheels
Patrick,

Thanks for the results/report. Who among us doesn't appreciate the insight on the HPV (Very cool!)  And so happy to hear Tom Boder is well and back in form - even if he always had better times than mine. Good to hear Ginny is still putting up great times on the course, but sad to hear she was the only female rider this week. Still early in the season. Good for all who rode.

Chuck

Best regards,

Chuck Gibson
Freelance Journalist