Disposable sys-net >> wifi login

799

Jul 11, 2021, 7:20:22 AM7/11/21
to qubes-users
Hello,

I switches my setup and I am using static disposable VMs for sys-usb and sys-firewall (Based on an own template which has been cloned from a fedora-33-minimal template + the bare minimal packages).

I also would like to make my sys-net a disposable VM but without the hazzle to enter my wifi credentials each time when I am connecting to the wifi network.

Is there a way to initiate a wifi connection via dom0 and passing the credentials for the wifi network?
qvm-run --pass-io --auto sys-net 'command1 && commands && [...] command n' with passing credentials via piping from Dom0 ?
Basically I am looking how I can initiate a new wifi connection from the CLI.
If I know this, I can combine a script myself which will pass the relevant information from Dom0 to the sys-net.

And one more question:
Wouldn't it be much better if we always use disposable.sys-Vms when this is possible?

Kind regards

one7two99

awokd

Jul 11, 2021, 5:13:14 PM7/11/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
799:

> I also would like to make my sys-net a disposable VM but without the hazzle
> to enter my wifi credentials each time when I am connecting to the wifi
> network.

There's this from a recent thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg36839.html.

> Is there a way to initiate a wifi connection via dom0 and passing the
> credentials for the wifi network?
> qvm-run --pass-io --auto sys-net 'command1 && commands && [...] command n'
> with passing credentials via piping from Dom0 ?
> Basically I am looking how I can initiate a new wifi connection from the
> CLI.

Possibly an nmcli command run in the disposable template could do that?

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

awokd

Jul 11, 2021, 5:16:29 PM7/11/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'awokd' via qubes-users:

> Possibly an nmcli command run in the disposable template could do that?

Disposable sys-net, I mean.

Sven Semmler

Jul 11, 2021, 7:55:34 PM7/11/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi one7two99,

there is another way.

Your sys-net is a named disposable VM, which is based on an AppVM that
has the "template_for_dispvm" property set true. This AppVM is in turn
based on your fedora-33-minimal clone.

The reason you have an AppVM as template for disposable VMs is the
ability to do customization. So here is what I do:

AppVM:

1) set virt_mode to 'hvm'
2) attach wifi via qvm-pci
3) launch
4) connect to wifi (this will safe the password)
5) shutdown
6) detach wifi
7) set virt_mode to 'pvh'

sys-net:

1) attach the wifi again
2) start

... from now on your sys-net will automatically connect to your Wifi. I
do this for my home wifi and my hotspot.

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/2A632C537D744BC7.asc
fingerprint: DA59 75C9 ABC4 0C83 3B2F 620B 2A63 2C53 7D74 4BC7

OpenPGP_signature

799

Jul 12, 2021, 4:15:22 PM7/12/21
to I Am 51lieal, qubes-users
Hello,

I Am 51lieal <am...@51lie.al> schrieb am Mo., 12. Juli 2021, 04:35:

It's possible currently i'm using fedora-34 DispVMs on sys-net, what you have to do :

```

nmcli device wifi list # scanning wifi

nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <WIFI PASSWORD> # example nmcli device wifi connect 51lieal password one7two99

```

super helpful, exactly what I was looking for.

One7two99

I Am 51lieal

Jul 13, 2021, 6:42:55 PM7/13/21
to 799, qubes-users

Hello one7two99

It's possible currently i'm using fedora-34 DispVMs on sys-net, what you have to do :

```

nmcli device wifi list # scanning wifi

nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <WIFI PASSWORD> # example nmcli device wifi connect 51lieal password one7two99

```

i dont like many icon on my panel so i did hide nmcli-applet.

OpenPGP_0x343C22B407BFD71B.asc
OpenPGP_signature