Time and date of appVM

Qubes

Apr 29, 2023, 4:25:55 PM4/29/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have noticed than when my computer wakes up from sleep the dom0 date
and time updates as soon as my computer gets net connectivity, but my
appVMs can take a loooooong time before their date and time also update.
Is there any explanation for this and maybe a way to fix it?

Qubes

Apr 29, 2023, 5:20:57 PM4/29/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ok I can sync it manually in the appVM using `sudo qvm-sync-clock`. So
the question is how can I set it to run more frequently in the appVM?

Qubes

May 2, 2023, 4:59:46 AM5/2/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Update: When my computer wakes from sleep the appVMs never update their
time. The only way is to manually run `sudo-qvm-sync-clock` or reboot
the VM. Why do I see this behavior? I am sure date and time should sync
everywhere automatically. Without the need, which looks to be the only
solution currently, to create a small script that is executed at VM
startup and it goes into a loop and runs `sudo-qvm-sync-clock` every 30
seconds.

Qubes

May 3, 2023, 11:59:29 AM5/3/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This is a serious problem, VMs don't sync their time on 4.2. Can
anybody provide meaningful input?

Qubes

May 4, 2023, 3:47:39 PM5/4/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Is there nothing I can do here?

Is it just me and my system or are you also seeing this?

Qubes

May 18, 2023, 9:29:25 AM5/18/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have resolved the issue of my VMs not syncing their time. It is
actually quite interesting, because although VMs are set to
automatically sync their time every 6 hours as is explained [here][1] a
certain set of conditions caused the clocks on my VMs to 'never' sync.
Other users can quite easily experience the same situation without
realizing it.

I have filed [bug report
8217](https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/8217) for this.

To fix my issue I defined a custom clock sync definition in

`sudo vim /etc/systemd/system/qubes-sync-time.timer`

and added

```
[Timer]
OnUnitActiveSec=10s