That command ran successfully.
> DVM savefile created successfully.
The DispVM still fails to start. When clicked from the XFCE menu, I see a notification "Starting new DispVM..." and nothing happens after that.
go to qubes-manager and view menu and select show hide internal vms, and delete all the dvm ones. then try qvm-create-default-dvm fedora-23
I only had one, "fedora-23-dvm". I deleted it and recreated it, but the DispVM is still not starting.
have you rebooted machine? is it just the default firefox dispvm entry? What if you load a terminal from a vm, then try to load an app in a vm with, qvm-run '$dispvm' appname
I have the exact same problem as OP. I recreated the DispVM multiple times now and rebooted several times.
The behaviour is the same for the Qubes start menu entry (DisposableVM -> Firefox and xterm) as well as tries to cross load it either by the context menu for a file or by qvm-run '$dispvm' xterm: I get a bubble msg in dom0 saying "Starting new DispVM..." and afterwards happens nothing. I could not find any helpful log output so far, can you point me to some or give some other tips? A disposable VM is quite an important feature...
make sure you delete all the old dvm's before creating a new one. Show internal vms in qubes manager and see if you have more then one.
Already did (I think this was mentioned before, if not here in another thread) and this is not the problem. There is only one dvm (which I also deleted/recreated several times with several different fedora versions).
> What template are you using to create the DVMTemplate?
Currently fedora-25 (untouched from the qubes repo), I have tried fedor-24 and fedora-23 before as well as updated versions.
> Can you run a terminal in the DVMTemplate using 'qvm-run -a <blah-dvm> xterm'?
This works and I do get in a terminal in the running fedora-25-dvm internal template without problems. But even with the dvm template running and the terminal open trying to start programs / open files in a disposal VM fails in the same way. Can I go any further from here / do some useful troubleshooting in the templates console? Thanks for your help!
Bump for this, I have the same issue. Firefox and XTerm do not launch from menu, or from CLI inside an AppVM
In my case i'm also using an AMD CPU. However the rest of Qubes runs okayish. (Some unexplained crashs once in a few hours but overall acceptable for a secure station which doesn't have to be a super stable and user friendly working horse. And it doesn't seem like there would be another feature which is per se not working like disposable VMs.)
If it is CPU related maybe it can be worked around? But maybe this is a wrong track.
/var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log produces the following 4 lines for each try to start a disposable VM:
xc: error: X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS record truncated: length 8, min 9: Internal error
xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:749:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done: restoring domain: Success
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1145:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3
So I guess this means I'm out of luck here and no workaround available?
I have and after that qubes wasn't even able to boot (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/Sr_C3cVTaG4) so I'm a little worried about that option. Is there way to update dom0 with an way to easily fallback in case it goes wrong again?
Okay, worked in that way that I'm still able to use qubes after the update and it eliminated the error line with the record truncated
>xc: error: X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS record truncated: length 8, min 9: Internal error
However, besides that my basic problem still persists in the exact same way. So I do get the same error from the screenshot above (exactly the same) when I try to start a dispVM and in the /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log there are now the following 3 lines per try (instead of 4 before):
>xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
>libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:749:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done: restoring domain: Success
>libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1145:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3
I have tried deletion and recreation of the dispVM template several times as well as reboots. I also switched the dispVM template versions (fedora-23, 24 and 25) but without luck.
I guess this is some progress but unfortunately dispVMs are still not working.