Re: [qubes-users] Digest for qubes-users@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Chris Bensch

Jun 8, 2024, 1:35:42 PMJun 8
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This works on the 4.2.1 release, this person made updates to switch from iptables to nftables.

Chris

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 2:47 AM <qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
taran1s <tar...@mailbox.org>: Jun 07 03:32PM

Does anyone have the VPN running through the srcipt from tasket? Were
there any changes in the 4.2 that can prevent it to run?

https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support/tree/v1.4.4

I can get the VPN running from within the vpn proxy (I know it is not
recommended) and firefox shows it exits from the proper IP address. But
the AppVM connected to the VPN proxy cannot get any internet connection.
Yes the VPN proxy has the Provides Network ticked.

Also the VPN starts only if I execute sudo openvpn --cd /rw/config/vpn
--config vpn-client.conf --auth-user-pass mullvad_userpass.txt

Otherwise I get just the normal direct connection without the VPN.

Do you have any recommendation how to solve that?

Thanks a lot in advance guys.
rss+...@armor-mail.com: Jun 08 04:14PM +0800

> Do you have any recommendation how to solve that?

I just use a simplified version of

https://privsec.dev/posts/qubes/using-mullvad-vpn-on-qubes-os/

to run the Mullvad GUI directly. Going by the time stamp on my note
file, it has been working very reliably for most of a year now, at
least.

RSS

taran1s

Jun 9, 2024, 1:52:14 PMJun 9
to Chris Bensch, qubes-users
That seems promising.

Does it mean that the whole procedure is still the same just instead of
unzipping the 1.4.4 one downloads the replace-iptables-with-nftables and
it should work as the original 1.4.4 on Qubes 4.1.

Will it work as a VPN over Tor including the Tor browser?

Chris Bensch:

--
Kind regards
taran1s

gpg: 12DDA1FE5FB39C110F3D1FD5A664B90BD3BE59B3

taran1s

Jun 9, 2024, 2:52:23 PMJun 9
to Chris Laprise, qubes-users
So with the script replace-iptables-with-nftables I get LINK UP. Works
nicely.

The only issue is that if I set the NetVM to the mullvad-vpn proxy for
the anon-whonix AppVM, in Tor Browser or in terminal, I don't get a
connection.

But if I set a NetVM mullvad-vpn proxy for normal debian AppVM Firefox,
it works like a breeze.

It seems that it could be an issue with the Whonix. Are there any
limitations in the Whonix design that prevent the beast from connecting
to the VPN over Tor? I remember that the 1.4.4 in the Qubes 4.1 it was
working.

Any workarounds?

'taran1s' via qubes-users: