firefox-esr and brave-browser work, but firefox, nautilus, thunar, gnome-terminal, xterm do not

Franz

Aug 24, 2022, 5:32:05 PMAug 24
to qubes-users
Hello,
the following command is intended to run an application in a new DVM:

qvm-run --dispvm=debian-11-dvm --service qubes.StartApp+<app name>

If in place of <app name> I put firefox-esr or brave-browser it works, the new DVM is opened and the application works as expected.

But if in place of <app name> I put firefox, nautilus, thunar, gnome-terminal, xterm the DVM starts, but immediately after closes with error:
command failed with code:1

Any idea to solve it or is it just a bug?

firefox-esr and brave-browser work, but firefox, nautilus, thunar, gnome-terminal, xterm do not

Andrew David Wong

Aug 24, 2022, 10:12:57 PMAug 24
to Franz, qubes-users
You might be missing .desktop files or something for the ones that aren't working. That seems to be a common problem.

I prefer the simplicity and reliability of this type of command:

qvm-run --dispvm=debian-11-dvm <app_command>

E.g.:

qvm-run --dispvm=debian-11-dvm nautilus

unman

Aug 25, 2022, 10:25:14 AMAug 25
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
In Debian, the desktop file is firefox-esr.desktop. The application is
available using either firefox or firefox-esr.
When you use the --service form of qvm-run it references the desktop
files, as Andrew said.(The Debian package is also called firefox-esr,
and `firefox` is a shell script that calls `firefox-esr`)

In Debian, the desktop file for xterm is `debian-xterm.desktop`, so that's how you
must address it if you use the --service form.
Nautilus is org.gnome.Nautilus.Desktop etc.

Some of the examples you gave have a different root cause, because of
the way that those applications work. For example, gnome-terminal will
call the gnome-terminal server and spawn an instance of the terminal.
Because of the way that disposables work, when that first call completes,
the disposable shuts down, so you never see a terminal window.
Qubes provides qubes-run-gnome-terminal to help with this.

Franz

Aug 25, 2022, 6:37:32 PMAug 25
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
> I prefer the simplicity and reliability of this type of command:
>
> qvm-run --dispvm=debian-11-dvm <app_command>
>
> E.g.:
>
> qvm-run --dispvm=debian-11-dvm nautilus

yes  thanks this works

In Debian, the desktop file is firefox-esr.desktop. The application is
available using either firefox or firefox-esr.
When you use the --service form of qvm-run it references the desktop
files, as Andrew said.(The Debian package is also called firefox-esr,
and `firefox` is a shell script that calls `firefox-esr`)

In Debian, the desktop file for xterm is `debian-xterm.desktop`, so that's how you
must address it if you use the --service form.
Nautilus is org.gnome.Nautilus.Desktop etc.

Interesting,

Many thanks, my friends