manual update dom0 to newest 4.5 kernel

Apr 1, 2016, 6:46:31 PM4/1/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

I got a Asus Zenbook UX305CA laptop.

Hardware is too new for older kernel support, see:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3svv6s/dont_buy_the_new_ux305ca_zenbooks_yet/

Biggest problems in older kernels:
- Display does not work properly without grub edit
- wifi does not work
- Touchpad does not work

Kernel 4.5 seems to solve all these issues though.

My question is, can I:
- install Qubes with i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 kernel parameter enabled in grub
- boot a Live Linux USB and download F24 alpha 4.5 kernel rpm
- copy kernel rpm to Qubes partition on HDD
- boot Qubes, verify and install new kernel to dom0 using yum

Cheers :)

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2016, 7:30:59 PM4/1/16
to qubes-users
Why developers still not add new kernel by default? :(
Please, give us any realise with newest kernel at dom0.Maybe it will solve half of problems.

Daniel Wilcox

Apr 1, 2016, 11:48:51 PM4/1/16
to evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Download the rpm for f24 first, extract it, find the .config or whatever the hell they ship it with, then compare it with what you get from dom0 zcat /proc/config.gz -- make sure it has all the fancy XEN options enabled like dom0 does.  (I don't know if that is the default or not, I don't normally use Fedora, but check)

That's what you really need first, beyond that there might be some libvirt stuff to look into but that'll be pretty apparent when you boot if virtual machines won't start.

Ultimately it's still just a Linux box, give it a shot.  I likewise will be patching my kernel up pretty soon.  I expect it'll be an adventure that is well worth the learning experience, cheers,

=D

ps: you shouldn't be able to copy a file to your dom0 from a live cd... you did use full disk encryption didn't you?  you'll need to do something else, there are workarounds on the documentation page, or you could try Rudd-O's ansible-qubes 'bombshell'.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM, <evado...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why developers still not add new kernel by default? :(
Please, give us any realise with newest kernel at dom0.Maybe it will solve half of problems.

R F

Apr 2, 2016, 1:49:56 AM4/2/16
to Daniel Wilcox, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On Saturday, 2 April 2016, Daniel Wilcox <d...@yubasolutions.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your answer.

Can anyone els comment on Daniels remark about needing to check .config (and what the file is called in Fedora) and libvirt please? Anything els needed to be checked /tweaked? Couldnt find anything in any guide on this.

Full disk encryption is luks and can be decrypted from an other OS.

Cheers!

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2016, 12:31:11 PM4/2/16
to qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com, evado...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com
> Can anyone els comment on Daniels remark about needing to check .config (and what the file is called in Fedora) and libvirt please? Anything els needed to be checked /tweaked? Couldnt find anything in any guide on this.

> Can anyone els comment on Daniels remark about needing to check .config (and what the file is called in Fedora) and libvirt please? Anything els needed to be checked /tweaked? Couldnt find anything in any guide on this.

I have the problem with the old graphic drivers in dom0. I go to the qubes devel and read the issue about updating dom0 to the new fedora. It can not be done quickly, because current Qubes software like Qubes Manager and old KDE windows decoration plugin does not support new KDE5 in the new Fedora.

If you will update dom0, then decoration plugin will not work and you will see the system without colors&tags at all VM windows. Maybe some other issues also will be there and "Qubes" will not work. You will get only Xen with virtual machines. If I'm understand correctly the situation.

You can track how it is going here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1807

They also want to make new Qubes system architecture and add GUI domain (X graphic system will be places at GUI domain). I hope they will concentrate all efforts on this to move X system to new GUI domain. It will give possibility to easier update dom0 and GUI.

R F

Apr 2, 2016, 12:40:14 PM4/2/16
to evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

On Saturday, 2 April 2016, <evado...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone els comment on Daniels remark about needing to check .config (and what the file is called in Fedora) and libvirt please? Anything els needed to be checked /tweaked? Couldnt find anything in any guide on this.

I have the problem with the old graphic drivers in dom0. I go to the qubes devel and read the issue about updating dom0 to the new fedora. It can not be done quickly, because current Qubes software like Qubes Manager and old KDE windows decoration plugin does not support new KDE5 in the new Fedora.

If you will update dom0, then decoration plugin will not work and you will see the system without colors&tags at all VM windows. Maybe some other issues also will be there and "Qubes" will not work. You will get only Xen with virtual machines. If I'm understand correctly the situation.

You can track how it is going here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1807

They also want to make new Qubes system architecture and add GUI domain (X graphic system will be places at GUI domain). I hope they will concentrate all efforts on this to move X system to new GUI domain. It will give possibility to easier update dom0 and GUI.

-

I see you're trying to update the entire dom0 os to a higher version of fedora. I only wanted to update the kernel to the newest one, not the os. I guess updating the kernel should be easier, right?

R F

Apr 19, 2016, 2:43:30 PM4/19/16
to evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com
Anyway, I will try. Can anyone tell me what the latest kernel version is I can update Q3.1 dom0? Can I update to the latest kernel available for fedora: 4.5.1?

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2016, 7:21:26 PM4/19/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com, d...@yubasolutions.com, ma...@ronilution.com
If you will not receive any answers and decide just to try.
Maybe something from this links will help.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/JmIc9jvmFRk
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/J0w7nKGn6ac

Please, write shott tutorial about how to update it if you could do it.

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2016, 7:48:03 PM4/19/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com, d...@yubasolutions.com, ma...@ronilution.com
Looks line new kernel from > 4.5 come with new AMDGPU that support my card. So, new kernel will solve my problem too...

Axon

Apr 20, 2016, 7:08:58 AM4/20/16
to R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 21, 2016, 6:05:05 AM4/21/16
to Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

R F

Apr 21, 2016, 6:35:32 AM4/21/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Axon, Eric Shelton, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com
Really appreciate your help Marek!

When I have sufficient time one of these weeks I will give this project a go and keep you guys updated.

Would be nice to get Qubes working on this Zenbook UX305CA. As the old Zenbooks have good hardware virtualization support and I couldn't find any ultrabooks from the hardware compatibility list still sold today with good Qubes support.

F24 (alpha) with latest kernel (4.5.1.X) works out of the box on this machine. Thats why I hope Qubes with the latest kernel might too.

Cheers,

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 4:39:10 PM4/21/16
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org, knock...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com, evado...@gmail.com, d...@yubasolutions.com
Marek thanks for this tutorial. I will try or will wait for R F report.

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2016, 7:57:09 AM4/22/16
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org, knock...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com, evado...@gmail.com, d...@yubasolutions.com
> - add "24" to names (strings in square brackets)

How exactly do that? Now, I'm trying with default [updates] [updates-debuginfo] need to change it to [updates24] ?
Now, I only replaced "20" -> "24" everywhere.

As a result I got by qubes-updates "kernel* already installeted and latest version"

ps. Does not work for me. (interesting, why?)

qvm-run -a fedora-23 'cat
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary' | sudo tee
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary

Maybe it will helps to somebody. Instead of above I use:

qvm-run --pass-io fedora-23 'cat
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary' > ~/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary
sudo cp ~/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary

evado...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2016, 8:18:14 AM4/22/16
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org, knock...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com, evado...@gmail.com, d...@yubasolutions.com
I also tried [updates24] -- It also say:
Loaded plugins: yum-qubes-hooks
Package 1000:kernel-4.1.13.9.props.qubes.x86_64 already installeted and latest version
Nothing to do

Of course, I added 'includepkgs = kernel*' to each section of 2 files (but seems it's can be added to only [updates24] section, because all other section have "enable=0". So, seems sources and debug-info disabled.

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 11:05:11 AM4/26/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com
Hi Marek,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:04:56PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Anyway there is no _easy_ way to upgrade dom0 kernel. But it is possible.
> Version 4.5.x is available only in (not yet released) Fedora 24.
> It would be something like this:
> 1. Add fc24 repository in dom0:
> sudo cp /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-24.repo
> sudo cp /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-24.repo
> Adjust those settings in just copied files:
> - change "20" to "24" (every occurrence)
> - add "24" to names (strings in square brackets)
> - add "includepkgs = kernel*" to every fc24 repository definition
> 2. Get Fedora 24 signing key - you have it already in your fedora-23
> template: /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary. You can copy
> it to dom0 with something like:
> qvm-run -a fedora-23 'cat
> /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary' | sudo tee
> /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary

small mistake here: qvm-run --pass-io needs to be used…

> 3. Import that key: sudo rpm --import
> /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-24-primary
>
> 4. Install new kernel: sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel

this didnt work for me, so I tried:
sudo qubes-dom0-update 'kernel-4.5*'
which resulted in

[...]
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:4.5.2-301.fc24 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-core-uname-r = 4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
for package: kernel-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-modules-uname-r =
4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64 for package: kernel-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel-core.x86_64 0:4.5.2-301.fc24 will be installed
---> Package kernel-modules.x86_64 0:4.5.2-301.fc24 will be installed
--> Processing Conflict: kernel-core-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64 conflicts
xfsprogs < 4.3.0-1
--> Processing Conflict: kernel-core-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64 conflicts
xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse < 13.0.99
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: kernel-core conflicts with
xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse-13.0.0-13.fc20.x86_64
Error: kernel-core conflicts with xfsprogs-3.2.1-1.fc20.x86_64
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I tried "--skip-broken" but of course this didn't help. Now I'm a bit
lost at what my options are to get a 4.5 kernel into dom0.

Also, even if that worked, it would lack the 4.5 kernel-qubes-vm
package… so the longer term solution would be to get those into a
qubes-unstable (or such) repo?

Or should I try to be bold and add xorg packages to the includepkgs=…
from above, hoping this would allow me to update the kernel without
upgrading too much other stuff? Has anyone done that?

--
cheers,
Holger

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 26, 2016, 11:43:10 AM4/26/16
to Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 11:55:49 AM4/26/16
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 05:43:01PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> I think it is safe to remove xfsprogs and xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse. Look for
> its dependencies (what yum remove would like to remove), but probably
> nothing more. Of course unless you use XFS on some partition.

doh, I mistook xfs for the xfontserver… anyhow, removing
xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse wants to remove xorg-x11-drivers too (which doesnt
really sound harmless…) but worse, xfsprogs is a depends of udisk2 which
is a depends of kdelibs… so this wont work.

(I tried both sudo yum remove as well as rpm -e, nothing more fancy
though.)

> > Also, even if that worked, it would lack the 4.5 kernel-qubes-vm
> > package… so the longer term solution would be to get those into a
> > qubes-unstable (or such) repo?
> It is easily possible to create VM kernel out of dom0 kernel.
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/
> In short: use qubes-prepare-vm-kernel tool.

ah, nice, thanks!

--
cheers,
Holger

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 1:58:06 PM4/26/16
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 03:55:34PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> doh, I mistook xfs for the xfontserver… anyhow, removing
> xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse wants to remove xorg-x11-drivers too (which doesnt
> really sound harmless…) but worse, xfsprogs is a depends of udisk2 which
> is a depends of kdelibs… so this wont work.

ok:

changing to "includepkgs=kernel* xfsprogs" in the yum configs and

sudo yum remove xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse
sudo qubes-dom0-update 'kernel-4.5* xfsprogs'

helped to install the kernel 4.5 packages from fedora 24. Yay.

But, /boot/vmlinuz-4.5* does not exist, even though "rpm -ql
kernel-core-4.5*" lists it.

Also strange, "rpm -qa kernel_4.5*" lists no files at all.

Is that "just" fedora-24 being broken atm or am I missing something?

--
cheers,
Holger

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 26, 2016, 5:09:00 PM4/26/16
to Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 5:40:30 PM4/26/16
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:08:52PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > But, /boot/vmlinuz-4.5* does not exist, even though "rpm -ql
> > kernel-core-4.5*" lists it.
> If rpm -ql list it, it should be there. Didn't you get any install errors?

not that I remember (but this dark red on black is not really good to
read…)

> Check also "rpm -V kernel-core" (it's verify mode).

it only lists one entry: (see below)

> > Also strange, "rpm -qa kernel_4.5*" lists no files at all.
> There is a '-', not '_' between package and version, it isn't Debian...

right, I did that just typed it wrong in the email…:

[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -qa|grep kernel
kernel-modules-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
kernel-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64
kernel-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
qubes-core-dom0-linux-kernel-install-3.1.10-1.fc20.x86_64
kernel-qubes-vm-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64
kernel-core-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -V kernel
.......T.
/lib/modules/4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64/modules.builtin.bin
.......T. /lib/modules/4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64/modules.devname
.......T. /lib/modules/4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64/modules.softdep
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -V kernel-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -ql kernel-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
(enthält keine Dateien)
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -ql kernel-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64|wc
3919 3919 301717
[holger@dom0 ~]$ ls /boot/*4*
/boot/config-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64
/boot/initramfs-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64.img
/boot/System.map-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64 /boot/xen-4.6.0.gz
/boot/initramfs-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
/boot/symvers-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64.gz
/boot/vmlinuz-4.1.13-9.pvops.qubes.x86_64
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -V kernel-core
..?...... /lib/modules/4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64/System.map
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -ql kernel-core|wc
2105 2105 146127
[holger@dom0 ~]$ rpm -ql kernel-core|grep /boot
/boot/.vmlinuz-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64.hmac
/boot/System.map-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
/boot/config-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
[holger@dom0 ~]$

--
cheers,
Holger

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 26, 2016, 6:17:17 PM4/26/16
to Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 6:30:45 PM4/26/16
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:17:09AM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Interesting - while package file list contains those files, actual
> archive there does not. Apparently vmlinuz is extracted to
> /lib/modules/.../vmlinuz.

yup, I unpacked the rpm file manually and found vmlinuz and System.map
there indeed, and copied them to /boot (with the correct names) manually…

> Post transaction script:
> $ rpm -q --scripts kernel-core
> (...)
> /bin/kernel-install add 4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
> /lib/modules/4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64/vmlinuz || exit $?
>
> I think you can simply copy vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64,
> then execute:
> dracut /boot/initramfs-4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64.img 4.5.2-301.fc24.x86_64
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

My first attempt was to simple reinstall with rpm, didnt help (=created
the initramfs but nothing in /boot/grub/grub.cfg), so I did run your commands
with the exact same results :/

> Apparently kernel package format has changed from Fedora 20 to 24. But the
> above commands should make it working in Qubes.

grub2-mkconfig only finds the 4.1.13 kernel :( anything else you can
think of?

--
cheers,
Holger

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 26, 2016, 6:39:17 PM4/26/16
to Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

Holger Levsen

Apr 26, 2016, 6:54:34 PM4/26/16
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:39:08AM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Reading through /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen, it requires also
> /boot/config-$kernelversion file.

whoohoo, that worked, grub picked it up and when I boot it… it reboots
directly after grub loading xen and the 4.5 kernel… with no
output/failure whatsoever :/

at least the fallback to xen with 4.1 kernel works nicely…

the initramfs for 4.5 is a bit smaller (16755547 vs 17384503), there are
3778 files in /lib/modules/4.1* and 3589 in /lib/modules/4.5*

thanks a lot for your help so far!

--
cheers,
Holger

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 26, 2016, 7:05:00 PM4/26/16
to Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, R F, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com

R F

Jun 28, 2016, 11:07:45 AM6/28/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com
Holger,

Great to hear you managed to upgrade the kernel !! This means I might not need to buy an other laptop after all.

I looked back at what you posted but it's a bit confusing. I'm probably not the only one.

Would it be possible for you to make a clear overview of all the steps to take (commandos in dom0 terminal) to be able to upgrade the kernel?

This would be of help to alot of people, at least to me.

Hope you can help out.
Much appreciated!

Cheers,

R F

Jul 1, 2016, 4:52:52 PM7/1/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Holger Levsen, Axon, Eric Shelton, evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users, d...@yubasolutions.com
Sorry I mis-read Holgers last email after "whoohoo, that worked, grub picked it up and when I boot it…"
So there was no output, it didn't work. Bummer.

swfo...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 4:52:13 PM1/18/17
to qubes-users
My problem exactly. Had Qubes running well on an old Lenovo & would love to run it on this more capable Zenbook.

Did you get this working in the end? Alternative is to spare myself the headache & keep running Mint until the next release.

R F

Jan 19, 2017, 4:04:38 AM1/19/17
to swfo...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:52 PM, <swfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
My problem exactly.  Had Qubes running well on an old Lenovo & would love to run it on this more capable Zenbook.

Did you get this working in the end?  Alternative is to spare myself the headache & keep running Mint until the next release.

--

It almost works on the current Qubes. But no mouse pad and wifi. So I'm using F25 atm and waiting for the next Qubes to roll out.
If the next Qubes uses F25 as its base, the kernel will be high enough for it to fully function.

Foppe de Haan

Jan 19, 2017, 4:46:20 AM1/19/17
to qubes-users, swfo...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com
just checking: you two are aware of the fact that you can get the 4.8.12 kernel via --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable ?

R F

Jan 19, 2017, 6:24:03 AM1/19/17
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-users, swfo...@gmail.com

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 at 12:22, R F <ma...@ronilution.com> wrote:

--

For me the thing is I want the touchpad and wifi to work from the start to keep my laptop usb free.

motech man

Jun 20, 2017, 3:05:29 PM6/20/17
to qubes-users, 0spin...@gmail.com, swfo...@gmail.com, ma...@ronilution.com
Is it reasonable to assume that the "unstable" repo doesn't mean "insecure"?

I'm not sure how new I will need to go to to get more support for the Intel 630 integrated graphics. It only provides a single resolution of 1024x768.

Also if I'm going to go thru the trouble of updating prior to the next release I'm concerned about having the essential config options required for xen / qubes. Might as well taylor the option to my hardware, but don't want to overdo that and render the new kernel unbootable.