Removed old Whonix templates and VMs (Not sure I was supposed to but the instructions state to remove old version)
I then did the following command in Dom0 per the Whonix instruction:
sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-core-admin-addon-whonix (Didn't seem like a typical template install/reinstall)
This is where things broke down and I think I messed up, that is, after I entered the following:
sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix
First time I have used salt or issued this type command (Didn't seem like a normal Qubes template update or re-install), Dom0 terminal just seemed to stall....
I found this article that might be similar:
Now I think I screwed this up even more:
1) I originally closed the Dom0 terminal, likely messing up the download, salt process or something else. It looked like dom0 had stalled (not uncommon based on my GUI dom0 update experience)
2) I found the whonix-14-gw installed but whonix-14-ws did not
3) I removed/deleted the templates based on the following 4.0 instructions:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/ specifically I issued the following command for whonix-14-dvm, whonix-14-gw, whonix-14-ws(whose template was blank). The thinking was just to try again.
4) I tried the instructions again on: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install and dom0 states:
After issuing the following command: sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-core-admin-addon-whonix I get the following message in dom0 terminal - qubes-core-admin-whonix-4.0.1-1.fc25 noarch is already installed....nothing to do.....complete
After issuing the following command: sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix I get the following message in dom0 terminal - 'state.sls qvm.anon-whonix" is not available...Dom0 configuration failed, not continuing.
Per the whonix instructions, I tried sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines I get the following message in dom0 terminal "...is already installed, skipping. Dependencies resolved. Nothing to do. Complete!"
My questions are:
1) How can I try to install whonix 14 again?
2) Did I just screw up my system with these edits and changes? If so how do I undo?
Thanks for any ideas or help....
I ended up doing a fresh install. Similar results...however I did manage to get it installed.
I started again with the Whonix wiki instructions(https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install), except for me I also:
* In addition to the following: "sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix" , per the instructions, I also ran "sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.sys-whonix" and it loaded the Whonix-gw template.
Not sure it was happening in the background but waited for 1 1/2 hrs with no feedback after the "sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix" command in Dom0.
Regardless I have it running...thanks Whonix/Qubes!