No sound in XPS9310

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Feb 6, 2021, 4:34:56 PM2/6/21
to qubes-users

I installed qubes on a Dell XPS9310. I was using kernel 5.4.90 and sound was working, but wi-fi did not. So I upgraded to kernel 5.10.13 and now I have both wifi and sound not working :D

It seems that the sound issues are due to a problem with driver sof-audio-pci.
In this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/Fa65-e8vqdM it turns out another user was having a similar problem with a dell 9700, which was apparently solved. Indeed in the thread it is said:

Audio works (with kernel 5.10 and attached kernel base-config patch  + latest 1.6.1 sof-bin firmware https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin and alsa-ucm-config files.   see https://blog.fts.scot/2020/07/04/dell-xps-2020-how-to-get-audio-working-on-linux/ for alsa ucm config ).

Unfortunately, I am not technically skilled enough to really understand the fix. Does it mean that I have to download kernel 5.10 (from were?), apply the patch provided in the thread (how?), include firmware and config files (how?) and then compile and install?
As you can see I don't really have a specific question, and I'm more in search of a few clarifications to understand how to apply an apparently already available solution. :)

Fab

awokd

Feb 8, 2021, 3:06:29 AM2/8/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Fabrizio Romano Genovese:
Per https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/Fa65-e8vqdM, are you
running Qubes 4.1? That might be the first place to start. It implements
audio in a separate VM, which might automagically resolve the issue or
at least make for a more easily implemented solution. In that case,
you'll want your VM's kernel to be the latest, so in dom0 do sudo
qubes-dom0-update kernel-qubes-vm-latest (from memory). See if the audio
driver loads in the audio VM. If not, it gets more complex.

You could convert it to an HVM which would allow you to recompile the
kernel internal to the VM using standard Linux procedures- check
documentation for the distribution you're using. If you didn't want to
convert to HVM, I think you would have to build a kernel for dom0 first
per
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg10886.html,
then package for VM usage with
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#installing-different-vm-kernel-based-on-dom0-kernel
(note I haven't attempted this before).

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

awokd

Feb 8, 2021, 3:07:46 AM2/8/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Fabrizio Romano Genovese:

Rama McIntosh

Feb 8, 2021, 9:14:43 AM2/8/21
to Fabrizio Romano Genovese, qubes-users
I think your dell has different wifi and I think audio.   The wifi driver for the xps 9310 is iwlwifi.   Here is some firmware info:  https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/killer-ax1650-in-debian-ubuntu-16-04/ and here is some qubes specific info on your wifi driver:  https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5615

I think the audio is different too, as the xps 9700 needs the 5.10 kernel to work, but the base-config patch above does enable CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_INTEL_SOUNDWIRE which I think you need too.

To patch the kernel you must build it from source with qubes-builder https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/.   First configure it.  Then change kernel to master branch in builer.conf.    after the "make get-sources"  is when you would patch with config-base in qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-kernel.

fedora 33 5.10 kernel supports much more devices and audio works in the upstream fedora on both the 9700 and 9310 dells.  I'll see if I can get a patch into qubes the upstream kernel modules which fedora has added or at the minimum the SOF stuff in the patch.   Then all our audio will just work with qubes.

awokd

Feb 8, 2021, 10:44:52 AM2/8/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Rama McIntosh:

> fedora 33 5.10 kernel supports much more devices and audio works in the
> upstream fedora on both the 9700 and 9310 dells. I'll see if I can get a
> patch into qubes the upstream kernel modules which fedora has added or at
> the minimum the SOF stuff in the patch. Then all our audio will just work
> with qubes.

Thanks for jumping in, Rama. It's difficult to troubleshoot hardware
without hands-on.

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Feb 8, 2021, 4:25:20 PM2/8/21
to qubes-users
On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 3:14:43 PM UTC+1 fac...@gmail.com wrote:
I think your dell has different wifi and I think audio.   The wifi driver for the xps 9310 is iwlwifi.   Here is some firmware info:  https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/killer-ax1650-in-debian-ubuntu-16-04/ and here is some qubes specific info on your wifi driver:  https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5615

Alas, no, I really have the AX500. The AX1650 is waay much more well behaved and it is the one that is usually shipped on XPS developer edition. Unfortunately XPS developer edition does not have a 32GB RAM option, which was absolutely needed for me, being Qubes unbelievably ram hungry. So I was forced to purchase the model with the Killer AX500 T_T

I think the audio is different too, as the xps 9700 needs the 5.10 kernel to work, but the base-config patch above does enable CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_INTEL_SOUNDWIRE which I think you need too.

To patch the kernel you must build it from source with qubes-builder https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/.   First configure it.  Then change kernel to master branch in builer.conf.    after the "make get-sources"  is when you would patch with config-base in qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-kernel.

The sad thing is that audio worked perfectly on kernel 5.4... I'll try to give a look to this by the end of the week, when I'll have a bit less work to do  :)

fedora 33 5.10 kernel supports much more devices and audio works in the upstream fedora on both the 9700 and 9310 dells.  I'll see if I can get a patch into qubes the upstream kernel modules which fedora has added or at the minimum the SOF stuff in the patch.   Then all our audio will just work with qubes.

That would be a wonderful, wonderful thing. In the meantime I'll try to learn how to compile my own kernels, my pc also tends to heat quite a lot and I suspect that a taylored kernel could make my overall experience better, correct me if I'm wrong... :)

About awokd suggestions: I tried to install 4.1 but the installer doesn't boot on my machine. Also, I've always been very unlucky with Qubes backups (traditionally I do them and they never work on restore), so I'd gladly avoid having to reinstall everything right now...

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Apr 18, 2021, 5:55:34 AM4/18/21
to qubes-users
On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 10:25:20 PM UTC+1 Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:
[...]

By any chance, does everyone know if there are any news about these audio issues? I'm updating the kernel to the latest version every week or so, but unfortunately sound is still not working :(

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Sep 16, 2021, 8:49:54 PM9/16/21
to qubes-users
Hello all,

I managed to finally install Qubes 4.1, but the audio problem is still not fixed. As awokd pointed out, in Qubes 4.1 I can define an audio-vm which, having fedora33, correctly recognizes my audio card.

I first tried the easy way: I created a sys-audio vm, and assigned the audio card to it. Unfortunately, the audio doesn't really work smoothly: Playing youtube videos on sys-audio is very slow and the sound is continuously cackling.

Investigating things further, it seems that there is already some salt script I can use to create sys-audio. So I removed my sys-audio vm and I tried with
sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.sys-audio
that lists two processes, one succeds and the other one fails. After this I have sys-audio again, but it is not used by default by any other vm. I tested with
qvm-prefs untrusted audiovm sysaudio
but audio still does not work. Youtube videos now do not really start. If I set audio back to dom0 and reboot the vm instead they do (but obviously I cannot hear anything given that dom0 has fedora32 which doesn't like my card).

I feel like there's something very simple that I am missing. Am I maybe issuing the wrong salt command to set up sys-audio?

Cheers,
Fab

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Oct 13, 2021, 11:50:01 AM10/13/21
to qubes-users
After a bit of time I had the opportunity to investigate this a bit further. Even running speaker-test on sys-audio results in the audio stammering, and sys-audio manages the device directly... Could this be a problem between fedora33 and my sound card? What can I do to pinpoint the problem?

Any help is appreciated!
Fab