Optimize Battery runtime with TLP for (Was [qubes-users] Lenovo X230 - List of USB-Ports and USB-Controllers (Layout))

P R

Sep 14, 2017, 8:30:27 PM9/14/17
to Tai...@gmx.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Taiidan,

Am 14.09.2017 7:33 vorm. schrieb "Tai...@gmx.com" <Tai...@gmx.com>:
It is because of the VM overhead (close ones you don't need), you should also set cpu powersave to "on demand" and force pci-e aspm.

In comparison I get around 5 hours of battery life with a 65Wh battery.

I have no installed TLP in dom0 via 'sudo qubes-dom0-update tlp tlp-rdw'.

Next step was to start TLP via 'sudo tlp start' and went straight into battery mode. You can always switch via 'sudo tlp bat' or 'sudo tlp ac'.
As far as I know TLP will do so automatically.

I have switched of all App/Sys-VMs and if dom0 is running the x230 is using ~7.000 - 7.700 mW.
Battery runtime is now given with ~12-13 hours, which sounds unrealistic to me and of course it doesn't make sense to run Qubes without any AppVM :-)

With some AppVMs running like:
sys-net / sys-firewall / sys-usb / Webbrowser AppVM, attached USB Mouse, Wifi enabled and doing some Webbrowsing battery is now using ~11.000-13.500 mW.
Battery runtime is now estimated with 7 hours.

So it seems that TLP makes big difference when it installed.

I have installed it not only in dom0, but also my AppVM templates.

- P

Tai...@gmx.com

Sep 14, 2017, 11:06:06 PM9/14/17
to P R, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, so you are satisfied now? :D

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of TLP before.

Hugo Costa

Sep 15, 2017, 4:03:47 PM9/15/17
to qubes-users

Me too, I'll have to try it out. I've been using Intel's Powertop and I must say, the difference is considerable, so maybe it'll improve with this TLP?

P R

Sep 16, 2017, 9:11:57 PM9/16/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com