The safest way to search in files on an external hard drive

Michael Singer

May 31, 2021, 10:55:18 AM5/31/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Qubes community,

I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.

The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a takeover of the hard drive by malware.

The total size of all my files is too large for me to put them all in one qube before searching for text in them.

Would it perhaps be possible to mount only a single partition of the hard drive into a qube, but not with write permissions, only read permissions?

I would do the search on command line, using "grep" for plain text files, "pdfgrep" for PDFs, and something for table files, databases, etc.

Is my idea feasible? And how secure would it be?

Best regards
Michael Singer

Rusty Bird

Jun 3, 2021, 9:29:11 AM6/3/21
to Michael Singer, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Michael Singer:

> I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not
> only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.
>
> The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a
> takeover of the hard drive by malware.
>
> The total size of all my files is too large for me to put them all
> in one qube before searching for text in them.
>
> Would it perhaps be possible to mount only a single partition of the
> hard drive into a qube, but not with write permissions, only read
> permissions?

Yes, e.g. like this:

$ qvm-block attach --ro destinationvm sys-usb:sda1

Then you can decrypt and mount the read-only /dev/xvdi in the
destination VM.

> I would do the search on command line, using "grep" for plain text
> files, "pdfgrep" for PDFs, and something for table files, databases,
> etc.
>
> Is my idea feasible? And how secure would it be?

Sounds fine to me. But malicious content could still exploit the
destination VM, so consider attaching to a DisposableVM (after
switching off its networking).

If your partition is LUKS1[1] encrypted, Split dm-crypt[2] might be
convenient. Its default behavior is to attach the decrypted partition
to an offline DisposableVM:

$ qvm-block-split attach --ro sys-usb:sda1

[1] TODO: LUKS2 support
[2] https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-split-dm-crypt

Rusty

Ulrich Windl

Jun 9, 2021, 4:46:54 PM6/9/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/31/21 4:55 PM, Michael Singer wrote:
> Dear Qubes community,
>
> I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.
>
> The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a takeover of the hard drive by malware.

If your app is working on the disk device and the app only has read
access to it, it'll be quite unlikely that the disk device will be changed.
Likewise if you mount the filesystem read-only, and the user running the
app is unable to re-mount, it's also quite unlikely that the disk will
be changed. You could even try to combine both methods (read-only mount
a read-only block device). However not all filesystems work on a
write-protected block device.
You could also try to find a hardware solution setting the drive read-only.

haaber

Jun 9, 2021, 5:02:46 PM6/9/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/21 10:46 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 5/31/21 4:55 PM, Michael Singer wrote:
>> Dear Qubes community,
>>
>> I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not
>> only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.
>>
>> The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a
>> takeover of the hard drive by malware.
>
> If your app is working on the disk device and the app only has read
> access to it, it'll be quite unlikely that the disk device will be changed.
> Likewise if you mount the filesystem read-only, and the user running the
> app is unable to re-mount, it's also quite unlikely that the disk will
> be changed. You could even try to combine both methods (read-only mount
> a read-only block device). However not all filesystems work on a
> write-protected block device.

A variant: mount it RO in AppVM1, then attach it to AppVM2 (which by no
means can "remount -rw" it unless interVM-barriers are breached (and
game is over anyways).

Michael Singer

Jun 17, 2021, 5:50:26 AM6/17/21
to Rusty Bird, qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Michael Singer:
>
>> I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not
>> only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.
>
>> The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a
>> takeover of the hard drive by malware.
>
>> The total size of all my files is too large for me to put them all
>> in one qube before searching for text in them.
>
>> Would it perhaps be possible to mount only a single partition of the
>> hard drive into a qube, but not with write permissions, only read
>> permissions?
>
> Yes, e.g. like this:
>
> $ qvm-block attach --ro destinationvm sys-usb:sda1
>
> Then you can decrypt and mount the read-only /dev/xvdi in the
> destination VM.
>
>> I would do the search on command line, using "grep" for plain text
>> files, "pdfgrep" for PDFs, and something for table files, databases,
>> etc.
>
>> Is my idea feasible? And how secure would it be?
>
> Sounds fine to me. But malicious content could still exploit the
> destination VM, so consider attaching to a DisposableVM (after
> switching off its networking).
>
> If your partition is LUKS1[1] encrypted, Split dm-crypt[2] might be
> convenient. Its default behavior is to attach the decrypted partition
> to an offline DisposableVM:
>
> $ qvm-block-split attach --ro sys-usb:sda1
>
> [1] TODO: LUKS2 support
> [2] https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-split-dm-crypt
>
> Rusty>

Dear Rusty Bird,

thank you very much for your advice. I had to find a way to mount the read-only volume in the destination qube. I discovered the page https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/block-devices/ But it doesn't say how to mount it either. The normal way with "$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt" does not seem to work for read-only. You have to tell the mount tool that it is a read-only device: "$ sudo mount -o ro,noload /dev/xvdi /mnt" This way it works. Perhaps this should be added to the documentation.

I read the notes about your split-dmcrypt-tool. Good work! Let's assume I would not work with LUKS. Suppose I mount sda1 with read-only option set in a DispVM (after switching off its network), decrypt it there and search in the files. An exploit bug occurs and the VM is taken. Now it could happen that someone leaks the partition password to the internet via a covered channel. So would it be safer to mount the decrypted volume again in another DispVM before we search it? And how would that be done? With the loopdevice method? What commands would you use in the terminal?

Many thanks
Michael Singer

Rusty Bird

Jun 19, 2021, 10:02:54 AM6/19/21
to Michael Singer, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rusty Bird:
> Michael Singer:
> > I had to find a way to mount the read-only volume in the destination
> > qube. I discovered the page
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/block-devices/ But it doesn't say how
> > to mount it either. The normal way with "$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi
> > /mnt" does not seem to work for read-only. You have to tell the
> > mount tool that it is a read-only device: "$ sudo mount -o ro,noload
> > /dev/xvdi /mnt" This way it works.
>
> 'mount' without any options generally works for read-only devices -
> but not if the filesystem is in a dirty state, like after sudden
> power-off. In that case 'noload' is needed so the kernel doesn't
> attempt to recover the newest data by replaying the journal, which
> would fail without write access.
>
> > Perhaps this should be added to the documentation.
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines/#how-to-contribute :)
>
> > I read the notes about your split-dmcrypt-tool. Good work! Let's
> > assume I would not work with LUKS. Suppose I mount sda1 with
> > read-only option set in a DispVM (after switching off its network),
> > decrypt it there and search in the files. An exploit bug occurs and
> > the VM is taken. Now it could happen that someone leaks the
> > partition password to the internet via a covered channel. So would
> > it be safer to mount the decrypted volume again in another DispVM
> > before we search it?
>
> Yes, assuming that the exploit is inside the *decrypted* data. Then
> that second offline DisposableVM would not have access to the (tiny)
> password, so it would only be able to slowly transmit the (huge)
> decrypted data over such a hypothetical covert channel.
>
> > And how would that be done? With the loopdevice method? What
> > commands would you use in the terminal?
>
> [dom0]# qvm-block attach --ro disp1 sys-usb:sda1
>
> [disp1]# echo Y >/sys/module/block/parameters/no_part_scan

I just remembered, this is only a partial solution unless
https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-split-dm-crypt/blob/master/vm/rules.d/00-blockdev-parsing-disabled.rules
from Split dm-crypt has also been installed.

The point of this step is, if the decrypted data blocks are malicious
then the intermediary decryption VM (which knows the password) should
not parse them in any way at all. So no_part_scan=Y disables the
kernel partition parsers; the .rules file also disables udev
filesystem type etc. parsers when no_part_scan==Y.

OTOH if the exploit is merely in a *file* inside the decrypted
filesystem, but you know that the decrypted "outer" data structures
(such as the filesystem itself) are not malicious, then it's fine to
skip this whole step.

> [disp1]# (somehow decrypt /dev/xvdi, yielding a device /dev/mapper/something)
> [disp1]# readlink /dev/mapper/something
> ../dm-0
>
> [dom0]# qvm-block attach --ro disp2 disp1:dm-0
>
> [disp2]# (mount /dev/mapper/xvdi)

Rusty

Rusty Bird

Jun 19, 2021, 10:02:54 AM6/19/21
to Michael Singer, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Michael Singer:
> I had to find a way to mount the read-only volume in the destination
> qube. I discovered the page
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/block-devices/ But it doesn't say how
> to mount it either. The normal way with "$ sudo mount /dev/xvdi
> /mnt" does not seem to work for read-only. You have to tell the
> mount tool that it is a read-only device: "$ sudo mount -o ro,noload
> /dev/xvdi /mnt" This way it works.

'mount' without any options generally works for read-only devices -
but not if the filesystem is in a dirty state, like after sudden
power-off. In that case 'noload' is needed so the kernel doesn't
attempt to recover the newest data by replaying the journal, which
would fail without write access.

> Perhaps this should be added to the documentation.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines/#how-to-contribute :)

> I read the notes about your split-dmcrypt-tool. Good work! Let's
> assume I would not work with LUKS. Suppose I mount sda1 with
> read-only option set in a DispVM (after switching off its network),
> decrypt it there and search in the files. An exploit bug occurs and
> the VM is taken. Now it could happen that someone leaks the
> partition password to the internet via a covered channel. So would
> it be safer to mount the decrypted volume again in another DispVM
> before we search it?

Yes, assuming that the exploit is inside the *decrypted* data. Then
that second offline DisposableVM would not have access to the (tiny)
password, so it would only be able to slowly transmit the (huge)
decrypted data over such a hypothetical covert channel.

> And how would that be done? With the loopdevice method? What
> commands would you use in the terminal?

[dom0]# qvm-block attach --ro disp1 sys-usb:sda1

[disp1]# echo Y >/sys/module/block/parameters/no_part_scan
[disp1]# (somehow decrypt /dev/xvdi, yielding a device /dev/mapper/something)
[disp1]# readlink /dev/mapper/something
../dm-0

[dom0]# qvm-block attach --ro disp2 disp1:dm-0

[disp2]# (mount /dev/mapper/xvdi)

Rusty

Michael Singer

Jul 9, 2021, 6:01:46 AM7/9/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Rusty Bird
Am 19.06.21 um 15:00 schrieb Rusty Bird:

>> [disp1]# (somehow decrypt /dev/xvdi, yielding a device /dev/mapper/something)
>> [disp1]# readlink /dev/mapper/something
>> ../dm-0
>
>> [dom0]# qvm-block attach --ro disp2 disp1:dm-0
>
>> [disp2]# (mount /dev/mapper/xvdi)
>
> Rusty

Dear Rusty Bird,

thank you for your help. I tried to get it done, but there is a problem:

After decryption, my file system presents itself to me as an ordinary directory that I find somewhere under /media/xy. The encryption program used works in a way that the device in /dev/xvdi is always encrypted. Only what is currently accessed in the /media/xy folder is decrypted. Consequently, it does not work if I use the following command to create a loop that I then mount in another qube, because it will not be decrypted there:

$disp1: sudo losetup -r /dev/loop0 /dev/xvdi

Unfortunately, I have not been able to mount or loop a directory to another qube via dom0 and the qvm-block command. I can mount a directory somewhere in the same qube using the mount tool, but I cannot make it available to dom0:
sudo mount -r -o bind /media/xy /home/user/xy

How could I solve this? What commands are necessary in disp1?

Best regards
Michael Singer

haaber

Jul 9, 2021, 9:04:52 AM7/9/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 7/9/21 12:01 PM, Michael Singer wrote:

> After decryption, my file system presents itself to me as an ordinary directory that I find somewhere under /media/xy. The encryption program used works in a way that the device in /dev/xvdi is always encrypted. Only what is currently accessed in the /media/xy folder is decrypted. Consequently, it does not work if I use the following command to create a loop that I then mount in another qube, because it will not be decrypted there:
>
> $disp1: sudo losetup -r /dev/loop0 /dev/xvdi

Why not

sudo losetup -r /dev/loop0 /media/xy

?? That is what I do alwys, at works fine. After that, the widget (for
example) allows to attach /dev/loop0 to other qubes. Best

Michael Singer

Jul 12, 2021, 7:02:52 AM7/12/21

On 7/9/21 18:04 PM, haaber wrote:

Why not

sudo losetup -r /dev/loop0 /media/xy

?? That is what I do alwys, at works fine. After that, the widget (for
example) allows to attach /dev/loop0 to other qubes. Best

Dear Bernhard,

this way it works only, if /media/xy would be a device. But it is an ordinary directory
and losetup says: invalid argument.

Best regards
Michael Singer