dbus-x11 missing from Fedora-37

Qubes

Apr 27, 2023, 11:34:52 AM4/27/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
When i attempted to launch a root gnome-terminal on the default
Fedora-37 template i received a "dbus-launch" error.

"
[user@fedora-37-clone-1 ~]$ sudo gnome-terminal
# gdk_atom_intern: assertion 'atom_name != NULL' failed
# gdk_atom_intern: assertion 'atom_name != NULL' failed
# Error constructing proxy for
org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Failed to execute child
process “dbus-launch” (No such file or directory)
[user@fedora-37-clone-1 ~]$
"

I know I can "sudo COMMAND" or I can become root "sudo su", but it my
case I need to launch a root gnome-terminal.

Installing dbus-launch solves the issue, "sudo dnf install dbus-x11". I
have checked the default Debian-11 template has dbus-x11 installed.

Howard Chen

Apr 27, 2023, 11:39:17 AM4/27/23
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Just execute 'gnome-terminal' or 'terminal' without using sudo or root.

Apr 27, 2023 08:34:53 Qubes <qube...@ak47.co.za>:

Qubes

Apr 27, 2023, 11:41:33 AM4/27/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

You clearly have not read what i have said.

Howard Chen

Apr 27, 2023, 11:46:49 AM4/27/23
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Correct:

After you went to the terminal, for Debian: execute either sudo or root:

1. dnf update

2. dnf install dbus-x11

!! Notes: must be executed in xterm, not gnome terminal. !!

Apr 27, 2023 08:41:32 Qubes <qube...@ak47.co.za>:

Howard Chen

Apr 27, 2023, 11:51:38 AM4/27/23
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Additionally, the fc37 minimal does not have GUI terminal because of its nature of execution from formal installation of minimal setup. As a result, fc37 minimal only provides CLI based programs.

Howard Chen

Apr 27, 2023, 11:58:50 AM4/27/23
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com
To withdraw my mistake, in order to install dbus x11, as an user:
1. sudo dnf install apt
2. add the Debian Buster package repositories to /etc/apt folder via root
3. After you are doing so, sudo apt update for the packages
4. sudo apt install [package]