HCL - Macbook Pro 13 inch, retina display (late 2013)

William Welton

Apr 3, 2015, 8:37:32 PM4/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes release 2 (R2)
Model Name: Apple_Inc. MacBookPro11,1
Kernel: 3.12.23-1
Xen: 4.1.6.1

RAM: 16292 Mb

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4558U CPU @ 2.80GHz
Chipset: 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM
Controller [8086:0a04] (rev 09)
VGA: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation
Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a2e] (rev 09) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])

Net: 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4360 802.11ac
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57762
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

SCSI: APPLE SSD SM0512 Rev: UXM2
Extreme Rev: 0001
SD Card Reader Rev: 3.00

BIOS: MBP111.88Z.0138.B14.1501071216
VT-x: Active
VT-d: Active

---

Installation: on a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive. Fast, less than an hour.
Encrypted LVM, deleted swap partition because of the limited space flash
drive and lots of RAM available (16GB)

The good: the basics work pretty well. Ethernet with Thunderbolt adapter
works if plugged before boot (hotplug doesn't work). Sleeping mode works
(an ethernet works too after sleep mode). USB works. Touchpad works,
multitouch works.

The not-so-good: default screen resolutions make everything too small on
retina display. other resolution do not have the correct aspect ration
so the screen doesn't look good.

The bad: wifi doesn't work. random freezes (maybe it is because I
deleted the swap partition?). sound doesn't work.

Overall: i expected much worst compatibility, the system is usable and
pretty much everything (at least the essential stuff) works out of the
box. I fell in love with Qubes, so tight but so flexible at the same
time. Impressive piece of work.

Questions:

- I'm planning to install Qubes on a bigger USB (64GB or 128GB) to test
several domains on it, will test also on other 3/4 machines I have.
Would you recommend to set up a swap partition? I've read that it is not
recommended for flash drives.

- Any recommendation to get wifi working?

- What would be the laptop you'd recommend for a qubes dedicated system?

Cheers,
--
W.A.W.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!
Qubes-HCL-Apple_Inc.-MacBookPro11,1-20150403-210101.txt

john.app...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 9:29:43 PM9/28/15
to qubes-users, wawe...@openmail.cc
hey mate any updates on this?

How did you get Qubes to even get past the installer screen? I just get to the installer GUI and then click install and it goes to prompt saying loading xen and the cpu just starts going into a tailspin for a half hour with nothing happening...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

cmu...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2017, 8:32:29 PM4/30/17
to qubes-users, wawe...@openmail.cc
Just a quick word on wifi. Got a mbp 11,2 and wifi was not working with tails from USB boot. I resolved it with a usb wifi stick, which tails recognized. i did not get the integrated wifi to work either.

warmly,

chris