Please help with Qubes 4.0 rc4 on 8th Generation Intel

Krišjānis Gross

Feb 5, 2018, 9:13:25 AM2/5/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

I have recently installed Qubes 4.0 rc4 on a new 8th generation Intel hardware and have an issue that I would like to get help with.

The issue is that graphics appear to be very very slow. Each time there is some visual activity on the screen it is vary 'laggy'. I noticed that whenever there is a GUI action, the process called Xorg is using 100% of one of the processor cores.

I have made captured a video of how that looks: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vrtVnVLu6WBrMl_6O-R7qs2syyOKypnQ

I have also gathered some logs that might help to resolve this:
1) archive of /var/logs folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=171-f2-d3D_CPrSFJKFwcuIrQgZXYf5L3
2) result of "sudo journalctl -b > journal.log" : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eOJMT4uGAQyatXFcQvF9ElGRpbdTTQSp

Hardware details:
MB: ASRock Z370 Pro4 https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370%20Pro4/index.asp
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8600K https://ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Please help to resolve this!

awokd

Feb 6, 2018, 6:21:42 AM2/6/18
to "Krišjānis Gross", qubes-users
On Mon, February 5, 2018 2:13 pm, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have recently installed Qubes 4.0 rc4 on a new 8th generation Intel
> hardware and have an issue that I would like to get help with.
>
> The issue is that graphics appear to be very very slow. Each time there
> is some visual activity on the screen it is vary 'laggy'. I noticed that
> whenever there is a GUI action, the process called Xorg is using 100% of
> one of the processor cores.

Haha I can definitely see it's using software rendering on that video.

The Xorg.0.log file confirms it with "[ 131.769] (EE) AIGLX: reverting
to software rendering"

Looks like the kernel option got renamed. In your kernel command line, can
you try replacing "i915.preliminary_hw_support=1" with
"i915.alpha_support=1"?

Krišjānis Gross

Feb 14, 2018, 1:22:42 AM2/14/18
to qubes-users
Thank You, awokd!

That indeed helped to resolve the issue!

The exact steps that I did was:
1) Install Qubes 4.0 rc4;
2) Start Qubes. Notice the software rendering of the video;
3) Open dom0 terminal and edit /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg (e.g. sudo nano /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg)
Replace 2 occurances of "i915.preliminary_hw_support=1" with
"i915.alpha_support=1";
4) Reboot the system.

Message has been deleted

mrp...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 2:37:22 AM3/13/18
to qubes-users
Hi Krišjānis Gross,

Is your system with Qubes 4.0 rc4 still working fine? Did the graphic issue relapse?

Since you posted on February, have there been any other issues?

Thanks,

Krišjānis Gross

Mar 13, 2018, 3:28:18 AM3/13/18
to qubes-users
Hi mrp2pp,

Yes, the system is working very nice. Graphic issue is gone and has not repeated.

I have not had any issues (with exception to those that I have created myself with my limited knowledge in this area).