fix resume in Qubes (Was X230 Corebooted -> resume broken

[799]

Feb 23, 2018, 8:19:12 PM2/23/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

a topic I had in the Coreboot Mailing list about fixibg resume in Qubes ... belongs mostly to this list.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
An 24. Feb. 2018, 02:13, [799] schrieb:

// Please excuse my recent mail as it was sent while I was writing, the scriot wasn't yet complete - here the complete version //

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
An 23. Feb. 2018, 14:32, [...] schrieb:

Me >> If I close the lid, the laptop shuts off.

> I do have the very same problem,if you find a
> solution, id be glad if you give me a hint .

I think I came up with an idea how to work arround this problem:

I found out that I can put the laptop to sleep when choosing "shutdown" from the top right Qubes button with your username on it (where you normally shutdown Qubes).

The laptop will switch to resume to RAM and you can then close the laptop lid.
if you open the laptop again you need to login but run into a problem with all AppVMs that had PCI Controllers attached, which will also affect your networking.

What you need to do is to kill those AppVMs (mainly sys-net and sys-usb) and restart them again.
After the restart if sys-net your AppVMs can't through the sys-net VM.

A workarround is to reconnect your firewall-VMs to sys-net by setting the netvm to none (= "" in Qubes 4) and then setting it back to the sys-net VM.
This will bring back networking. As such my workarround is:

1) use "Suspend" from the upper right Qubes menu

2) close Laptop lid after resume

3) open lid and login

4) run the following script in dom0 to kill sys-net/sys-usb and reconnect the proxy VMs:

#!/bin/bash
# qvm-resume
# kills and reconnect sys-net/sys-usb
# to fix networking after resume
qvm-kill --force sys-net sys-usb
qvm-start sys-net sys-usb
# for Qubes 4rc4, Qubes 3.2 uses another
# Syntax with qvm-prefs to disable the NetVm
qvm-prefs --set sys-firewall netvm ""
qvm-prefs --set sys-firewall netvm sys-net

Can you try if this will also work in your case?

If this is working the only thing we need to do, is to setup resume when closing the lid and then the run the "qvm-resume" script after wake up or login back.

what do you think?

[799]

[799]

Feb 24, 2018, 7:37:15 PM2/24/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Just for the archive:

Resume was fixed after a clean installation of Qubes 4rc4 - I was running Q4rc3 on my Lenovo x230 before.

[799]

--
Qubes 4rc4 > Lenovo X230
Qubes 4rc4 > Lenovo W540