HCL - Gigabyte B150 Mobo / Intel i7-6700k CPU / WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD

Joe Thielen

Mar 29, 2017, 1:44:17 PM3/29/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Machine seems to work well, having run overnight.  16GB RAM currently but will be upgrading to 32GB.  No TPM.

Updated BIOS before installing Qubes using mobo built-in installer.

Had some issues getting the Qubes installer to work (USB).  Playing with the boot settings convinced it to work.  I seem to recall choosing to boot from the USB partition #1, not from the drive itself as playing a factor.  The BIOS "compatibility module" settings did not help, I recall turning those off.  Also had to turn on the items for VT-d & VT-x (in separate places on the menus).  The first time the install actually ran is crashed after language selection.  I rebooted and it ran fine the second time.

Video works - using VGA.  Mobo also has HDMI & DVI, have not tried those (no plans on it).

Networking works.

No use for sound, have not tried it.

M.2 SSD seems to work great.  Copying VMs takes a little longer than I would expect, but still faster than a traditional HD.

I've had several CentOS 7 HVMs (CLI, no GUI - Although the installer was GUI and ran fine) running concurrently as well as a work VM with multiple terminals and Firefox running, all speedy.

Qubes-HCL-System_manufacturer-System_Product_Name-20170329-173008.cpio.gz
Qubes-HCL-System_manufacturer-System_Product_Name-20170329-173008.yml