Unable to boot appvm due to qubes-relabel-rw

Rune Philosof

Jun 17, 2024, 5:23:19 AMJun 17
to qubes-users
After updating from `fedora-38` to `fedora-39`, I have some AppVMs that I am unable to boot because `qubes-relabel-rw` takes more than 60s.

The VMs have large `/rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/docker`.

I can clean my docker state before making the template switch, but it would be nice to avoid having to recreate the state.

It would be good with a more user friendly process for this, both for explaining the problem and the solution.

Rune Philosof

Jun 17, 2024, 6:02:42 AMJun 17
to Rune Philosof, qubes-users
Also, if this was a rarely used appvm, then I might not have noticed that the problem started due to a template vm upgrade.
I also might not have the old template vm present on my system to switch back to for cleaning up the bind dir.

So it would be nice with another solution for this.

The simplest to implement is probably to remove the time out, and have the user kill the vm if it takes too long.
But that might be problematic in the case of service vms that start at boot? If so, the time out could be conditional.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Rune Philosof
Software developer

+45 28 45 64 08
r...@abtion.com

Vesterbrogade 15, 3
1620 København V

Sverigesgade 18
5000 Odense C

https://abtion.com

unman

Jun 26, 2024, 10:13:50 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 12:02:25PM +0200, 'Rune Philosof' via qubes-users wrote:
> Also, if this was a rarely used appvm, then I might not have noticed that
> the problem started due to a template vm upgrade.
> I also might not have the old template vm present on my system to switch
> back to for cleaning up the bind dir.
>
> So it would be nice with another solution for this.
>
> The simplest to implement is probably to remove the time out, and have the
> user kill the vm if it takes too long.
> But that might be problematic in the case of service vms that start at
> boot? If so, the time out could be conditional.
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 11:23???AM 'Rune Philosof' via qubes-users <
> qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> > After updating from `fedora-38` to `fedora-39`, I have some AppVMs that I
> > am unable to boot because `qubes-relabel-rw` takes more than 60s.
> >
> > The VMs have large `/rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/docker`.
> >
> > I can clean my docker state before making the template switch, but it
> > would be nice to avoid having to recreate the state.
> >
> > It would be good with a more user friendly process for this, both for
> > explaining the problem and the solution.

Rune
Thanks for suggesting this - I'll have a think, and see what might be
best suggestion for most users.
unman