Black Screen on installation

Balmhood

Apr 9, 2021, 6:30:46 AM4/9/21
to qubes-users

Hi,

I am trying to install Qubes (release 4.04) on my ACER Swift SF315-51G laptop.

 I think the issues comes from the dual video cards and UEFI from what I could read.

 When I try the installation, I get a first screen of text, then last display line is : “XEN is relinquishing VGA console” and the screen turns black.

 I am creating the USB boot disk as per Qubes instructions with RUFUS (v3.13) in Win 10.

 I have tried:

  • 2 different USB keys (verbatim 8GB and samsung 32GB)
  • In bootx64.cfg, I’ve commented out both “#noexitboot=1” and “#mapbs=1” => this takes me to another screen but then I get stuck at multiple lines of : “localhost dracut-initqueue[545]: Warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts" And then it times out and stops.
  • In my BIOS (latest v1.06), I do not have access to modify either  secure boot or UEFI boot to Legacy (Thanks Acer), so I cannot try troubleshoots I have seen with these modified.
  • Plugging a monitor via HDMI, no change

I am a bit at a loss and inexperienced when it comes to Linux

Anything else I can try?

Regards

B.

awokd

Apr 12, 2021, 12:11:50 AM4/12/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Balmhood:

> - 2 different USB keys (verbatim 8GB and samsung 32GB)
> - In bootx64.cfg, I’ve commented out both *“#noexitboot=1”* and
> *“#mapbs=1”* => this takes me to another screen but then I get stuck at
> multiple lines of *: “localhost dracut-initqueue[545]: Warning:
> dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts"* And then it times
> out and stops.
> - In my BIOS (latest v1.06), I do not have access to modify either
> secure boot or UEFI boot to Legacy (Thanks Acer), so I cannot try
> troubleshoots I have seen with these modified.
> - Plugging a monitor via HDMI, no change

There is another switch like nomodeset for nvidia cards, worth trying if
you have one. Might also want to try a 4.1 alpha and see if you get any
further.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions