Shutdown Delay

Ulrich Windl

Dec 28, 2022, 5:00:53 AM12/28/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Am I the only one that sees extra shutdown delays?
It seems that everything is unmounted, but still thing hang; unsure what that is. See attachment.
What surprises me is that crypto seems to be stopped before unmount.

Regards,
Ulrich
IMG20221227195257.jpg

Mike Keehan

Dec 28, 2022, 7:09:20 AM12/28/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
NFS mounts can cause this sort of problem.

unman

Jan 3, 2023, 10:12:11 AM1/3/23
to Ulrich Windl, qubes...@googlegroups.com
No, I often see excessive shutdown delays.

Rusty Bird

Jan 3, 2023, 4:39:02 PM1/3/23
to unman, Ulrich Windl, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Ulrich Windl

Jan 9, 2023, 2:44:47 PM1/9/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
No NFS involved; wouldn't it have to be NFS in dom0 then? Shudder!

Ulrich Windl

Jan 9, 2023, 2:45:59 PM1/9/23
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
No, doesn't work either; I had tried it before.

John...@eclipso.email

Jan 11, 2023, 3:23:59 AM1/11/23
to Ulrich...@rz.uni-regensburg.de, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also experience(d) shutdown delays in the beginning of my qubes OS experience in about 1/10 shutdowns.
I never had any NFS mounts or alike that should have caused it.
After thrawling through the journalctl messages there was always some VM that waited for a process to exit.
Instead of decreasing the shutdown time delay in systemd for dom0 any every appVM, I decided to manually shutdown the appVMs and shutdown dom0 afterwards, which eradicated the problem near to complete. In fact I don't remember the last time i had to wait for a reboot/shutdown.
A simple alias in .bashrc for user in dom0 did the trick for me.

alias shutdown='qvm-shutdown --all --wait;sync;sudo shutdown -h now'
alias reboot='qvm-shutdown --all --wait;sync;sudo reboot'

Hope this is useful for you guys