Feedback: Qubes 4rc1 on coreboot

David Hobach

Aug 5, 2017, 9:36:36 AM8/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dear users,

so I tested the new 4.0rc1 on a T530 with coreboot & SeaBios as payload:

It installed perfectly fine, then on first boot I ran into the issue
from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/jfQovXpzCq8 :
After installation Grub is loaded, I selected an entry, the screen
remains blank. Reboot after 2-3s.

I managed to fix that by removing the iommu=no-gfx line from the xen
kernel parameters in the grub menu. What exactly did I do with that? So
my Intel GPU now also uses VT-d? Is this a problem?
Anyway it looked like a Xen bug to me.

Then the installer for the 1st time configuration hang at "Executing
Qubes configuration", mouse became unusable --> Reboot.

Installer pops up again, this time it all goes through & surprisingly
quick, xfce starts, yay...

I accidentally click on "One empty panel..." --> hrmpf, ok I get an
empty panel and an empty screen apart from the wallpaper - who needs that?

Trying to find out whether VT-d is enabled on command-line - ah,
qubes-hcl is not installed. -_-

xl info shows virt_caps = hvm_directio, so VT-d seems to work.

Thanks @devs, I will have a deeper look soon!

KR
David