HOWTO - Potential fix for GUI sluggishness

Yethal

Oct 15, 2017, 5:58:03 AM10/15/17
to qubes-users
I reported the issue yesterday but more people browse the mailing group than the qubes-issues repo so I'll repost this here. Hopefully it'll help someone.

(On my PC at least) the AppVMs internally use 24hz screen refresh rate instead of my monitor native 60hz which caused the GUI to be very unresponsive, sluggish and to tear like crazy. In order to fix that:

1. Launch terminal in TemplateVM on which your AppVMs depend
2. Open /etc/X11/xorg-qubes.conf in test editor
3. Scroll to the VertRefresh parameter
4. Change 23-24 to 59-60 (or higher if your display supports it)
5. Save changes
6. Shutdown TemplateVM
7. Restart AppVMs based on that TemplateVM
8. Repeat for all other TemaplteVMs
9. Enjoy buttersmooth GUI

Github issue:

Roy Bernat

Oct 17, 2017, 3:23:08 AM10/17/17
to qubes-users

Hi

tried your solution on template vm . the changes are not saved .

any suggestion ?

Yethal

Oct 17, 2017, 2:20:08 PM10/17/17
to qubes-users
Yeah, later I found out that the file is reconstructed from a template by qubes-run-xorg script. Until this is permanently fixed you may want to try editing the script so that it always echoes correct value. This is a workaround until a permanent solution is developed.

Roy Bernat

Oct 17, 2017, 2:26:29 PM10/17/17
to qubes-users
On Sunday, 15 October 2017 05:58:03 UTC-4, Yethal wrote:

can you point me to this script ?

donoban

Oct 17, 2017, 2:29:29 PM10/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/17/2017 09:23 AM, Roy Bernat wrote:
> tried your solution on template vm . the changes are not saved .
>
> any suggestion ?

Same problem..

Yethal

Oct 17, 2017, 2:38:39 PM10/17/17