How to setup Win10 HVM ?

Feb 12, 2020, 2:56:26 PM2/12/20
to qubes-users
I want to install Windows 10 from a DVD in a new HVM and have begin following this guide: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-vm/

It says:

“Create a new Qube:
Name: Win10, Color: red
Standalone Qube not based on a template
Networking: sys-firewall (default)
Launch settings after creation: check
Click “OK”.”

As I’m going to install Win 10 from a DVD, shall I then just follow the guide and choose “Launch settings after creation” or shall I choose “Install from device” ?

awokd

Feb 13, 2020, 12:04:50 AM2/13/20
to A, qubes-users
A:
https://github.com/elliotkillick/qvm-create-windows-qube

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

M E

Feb 13, 2020, 6:51:46 AM2/13/20
to awokd, qubes-users
Sorry, but I need a more detailed guide as I’m just a little bit more skilled than a average Windows user and is both new to Linux and Qubes OS...

1)  Can I download the files using any domain-browser or do I have to use a specific one ?

2)  Shall I save the installation script file with a specific name, and if so what ?

3)  Where shall I save the installation script file ?

4)  Shall I really just copy the following code and execute it in dom0 or shall I download the file install.sh first or change something in the code and if so what ?

qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output <qube_script_is_located_on> "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh

5)  I don’t get this: “Safer with escape character filtering enabled above; qvm-run disables it by default when output is a file”.
      Shall I do something to enable “character filtering”, and if so what ?

6)  I guess I then just have to execute this in dom0: “chmod +x install.sh && ./install.sh”.
      Is that correct ?

7)  If all goes well, is this the only thing I need to do afterwards to get Windows 10 up and running in Qubes OS 4.0.3... ?
      Put ”qubes-start.desktop into /usr/share/qubes-appmenus in Dom0 if none is present

M E

Feb 13, 2020, 7:54:43 AM2/13/20
to awokd, qubes-users
2)  The link on the page is to the file “install.sh”, so I guess it should be named that.

3)  To this path:  “/home/user/Downloads/” (according to the command)

M E

Feb 13, 2020, 10:48:58 AM2/13/20
to awokd, qubes-users

I have tried using the unsafe browser (as this domain also offer a file manager as a shortcut) and safe the file in the domains download folder. Here the file is suggested to be saved as “install.sh”.

And then I tried to execute the following script in dom0:

qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output <qube_script_is_located_on> "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh

But as expected, this part of the script has to be replaced by something else:

<qube_script_is_located_on>

I guess with something like a partition letter, but as I don’t know more than this path; “'/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'” I need to be told what I should write here instead.

So what shall I replace it with ?

unman

Feb 13, 2020, 11:12:14 AM2/13/20
to qubes-users
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 04:48:42PM +0100, M E wrote:
> tor. 13. feb. 2020 kl. 13.54 skrev M E <annee...@gmail.com>:
>

> I have tried using the unsafe browser (as this domain also offer a file
> manager as a shortcut) and safe the file in the domains download folder.
> Here the file is suggested to be saved as ???install.sh???.
>
> And then I tried to execute the following script in dom0:
>
> qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output
> <qube_script_is_located_on> "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" >
> install.sh
>
> But as expected, this part of the script has to be replaced by something
> else:
>
> <qube_script_is_located_on>
>
> I guess with something like a partition letter, but as I don???t know more
> than this path; ???'/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'??? I need to be told what
> I should write here instead.
>
> So what shall I replace it with ?

That's the *name* of the qube where the script is located.

M E

Feb 13, 2020, 12:00:11 PM2/13/20
to qubes-users, unman

Thank you.

I have tried to execute it in the user dom0, both:

qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output untrusted "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh

and

qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output “untrusted” "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh

It doesn’t seem to do anything...

Shall I run it with root access instead, or what shall I do ?

A E

Feb 13, 2020, 4:34:01 PM2/13/20
to qubes-users, unman
When I try to use “*” around the domaine name, it says there doesn’t exist any domain with that name. And I have checked it was spelled correctly. And I get the same result if I use the root account.

So I still need help to get further.

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

Feb 13, 2020, 4:38:15 PM2/13/20
to A E, qubes-users
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:33:45PM +0100, A E wrote:

> When I try to use “*” around the domaine name, it says there doesn’t exist
> any domain with that name. And I have checked it was spelled correctly. And
> I get the same result if I use the root account.

try using quotes ... as in regular "" instead of “” ...
i am pretty sure the shell doesnt understand weird graphical
unicode stuff like that.

A E

Feb 13, 2020, 4:41:29 PM2/13/20
to qubes-users, unman
I have also tried using the work domain instead. But with the same result.

A E

Feb 13, 2020, 5:32:44 PM2/13/20
to dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes-users
I have I’m just writing these messages on an iPad which seems only to be able to write these “”.

I have also tried to use a UK keyboard layout in the terminal to be certain with the same result.

It just keeps saying either nothing or “qvm-run: error: no such domain: ‘*work*’ ” And when it says nothing, I can’t see any new domain in the Domain manager.

unman

Feb 13, 2020, 6:50:15 PM2/13/20
to qubes-users
> qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output ???untrusted??? "cat
> '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh
>
> It doesn???t seem to do anything...
>
> Shall I run it with root access instead, or what shall I do ?

As you get used to Linux you will discover that when a command completes
succesfully, it will often not emit any output. Have you checked to see if
the "install.sh" file has been created in dom0? (Use 'ls' to list the
files)

You might also like to run:
qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output untrusted 'ls /home/user/Downloads/'

which *should* show you a listing of the files on untrusted including
the install.sh file.

unman

Feb 13, 2020, 6:52:19 PM2/13/20
to qubes-users
> > qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output ???untrusted??? "cat
> > '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh
> >
> > It doesn???t seem to do anything...
> >
> > Shall I run it with root access instead, or what shall I do ?
> >

> When I try to use ???*??? around the domaine name, it says there doesn???t exist
> any domain with that name. And I have checked it was spelled correctly. And
> I get the same result if I use the root account.
>
> So I still need help to get further.

You don't need anything around the name of the qube. Just use the name.
Nor do you need root (unless you are doing this somewhere without file
access in which case you will see an "access denied " error

A E

Feb 14, 2020, 2:14:35 AM2/14/20
to qubes-users, unman
Okay, thanks.

How can I see if the "install.sh" file has been created in dom0 ?

A E

Feb 14, 2020, 2:19:29 AM2/14/20
to qubes-users, unman
Okay, I read your message again.

It shall just turn up in the file list of dom0.

I’ll look later.

unman

Feb 14, 2020, 6:56:52 AM2/14/20
to qubes-users
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 08:19:13AM +0100, A E wrote:
> Okay, I read your message again.
>
> It shall just turn up in the file list of dom0.
>
> I???ll look later.
>

> fre. 14. feb. 2020 kl. 08.14 skrev A E <annee...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Okay, thanks.
> >
> > How can I see if the "install.sh" file has been created in dom0 ?

The convention here is not to top-post.
Please scroll to the bottom of the message before you start typing. Or
reply inline.
It only takes you seconds, makes it much easier to follow threads, and
cumulatively saves your fellow users hours.
Thanks.
unman

A E

Feb 15, 2020, 9:18:47 AM2/15/20
to qubes-users, unman

Yes, install.sh was copied to dom0. I just thought the terminal would say so after it did this.

The pc is downloading now.

I wonder why Windows 7 has to be installed before Windows 10... especially as Microsoft has stopped supporting it and it takes about 2 hours to download it and I don’t have any product code for it. So maybe I can’t even use it.

Besides that, I appreciate and thanks Elliot Killick for the easy to use installation script.

A E

Feb 15, 2020, 12:48:43 PM2/15/20
to qubes-users, unman
Arh, I hate that screensaver... !

I think I got Win 7 downloaded, although the screensaver came on.

But I don’t know how far the whole installation procedure went as the screensaver came on and I had to reset/restart the pc to login again.

Here is a image of the Win 7 file.

In order to continue the installation process, I have tried to execute the command once again in the dom0 terminal. But it returned this:

Do I have to delete the domain and start the installation process from scratch again, or can I somehow continue the installation process and if so how... ?

Thierry Laurion - Insurgo Technologies Libres / Open Technologies

Feb 15, 2020, 11:33:27 PM2/15/20
to A E, qubes-users, unman
Has someone tried to active with a windows 7 license?

>Besides that, I appreciate and thanks Elliot Killick for the easy to
>use
>installation script.

-- Sent from /e/ Mail

A E

Feb 16, 2020, 2:35:14 AM2/16/20
to Thierry Laurion - Insurgo Technologies Libres / Open Technologies, qubes-users, unman
To get through the whole installation process, can I then:

1)  Somehow continue the installation process and if so how... ?

Or

2)  Do I have to start the installation process from scratch again ?
     And if so, shall I delete more than the windows domain, and if so what ?

A E

Feb 18, 2020, 3:27:40 PM2/18/20
to Thierry Laurion - Insurgo Technologies Libres / Open Technologies, qubes-users, unman
I have just deleted the win-domain and run the command again.

I got Win 7 and the Qubes Win Tools installed, but got some errors on the way...

This file does not exist: /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/var/cache

This folder does not exist: /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates

Also:

“Failed to set locale, defaulting to C”

Three times: “UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\xe6’ in position ...: ordinal not in range(128)”

Eight times: “UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\xf8’ in position ...: ordinal not in range(128)”

Ends with: “Installation complete”

What shall I do now... ?

I can’t see how I can start Windows 7 in the Qubes Menu.

And the guide doesn’t say anything about how to open Windows 7 or what to do next in relation to install Windows 10.

A E

Feb 18, 2020, 3:36:04 PM2/18/20
to Thierry Laurion - Insurgo Technologies Libres / Open Technologies, qubes-users, unman
I should probably also mention, that I haven’t tried to restart the pc afterwards in case you would ask to the content of the script that the terminal has outlined through the installation process.

Ulrich Windl

Feb 19, 2020, 2:33:59 AM2/19/20
to annee...@gmail.com, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
>>> <dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org> schrieb am 13.02.2020 um 22:38 in
Nachricht
<7614_1581629892_5E45C1C4_7614_2602_1_20200213213810.GV8973@priv-mua>:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:33:45PM +0100, A E wrote:
>
>> When I try to use “*” around the domaine name, it says there doesn’t exist
>> any domain with that name. And I have checked it was spelled correctly.
And
>> I get the same result if I use the root account.
>
> try using quotes ... as in regular "" instead of “” ...
> i am pretty sure the shell doesnt understand weird graphical
> unicode stuff like that.

As a side note: On my very first attempt to write a parser in Java I had
pasted a "mathematical minus" (&#x2212;) from some PDF without realizing. As it
turned out that mathematical minus has a three-byte UTF-8 encoding while Java
just handles 16 bits it seemed to me. Took me quite a _lot_ of time until I
found the reason for the odd program results... ;-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20200213213810.GV8973%40priv-mu

> a.

A E

Feb 19, 2020, 2:56:11 AM2/19/20
to Ulrich Windl, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Ulrich, but I don’t get your point in relation to get Windows 7 or Windows 10 running in Qubes OS...

In case you or others would like to view the script that the terminal show in relation to the installation process, see below (sorry, I had to split it up in several messages as the pictures was to large):

A E

Feb 19, 2020, 3:04:59 AM2/19/20
to Ulrich Windl, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

A E

Feb 19, 2020, 3:07:30 AM2/19/20
to Ulrich Windl, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

A E

Feb 19, 2020, 3:29:35 AM2/19/20
to Ulrich Windl, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

A E

Feb 19, 2020, 11:17:12 AM2/19/20
to Claudio Chinicz, Thierry Laurion - Insurgo Technologies Libres / Open Technologies, Ulrich Windl, awokd, brenda...@gmail.com, dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org, domin...@gmail.com, juerge...@gmail.com, m...@militant.dk, qubes-users, rafae...@gmail.com, scal...@posteo.net, unman
I found these scripts under examples on the same webpage (link:

Windows 7:

./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-firewall -soyp firefox,notepadplusplus,office365business work-win7

Windows 10 (After downloading with download-windows.sh):

./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i win10x64-enterprise-eval.iso -a win10x64-enterprise-eval.xml anon-win10

To make a useable installation of Windows 7, do I then just need to execute the following script and change “office365business” if I would like to use a version of Microsoft Office that doesn’t need a continuous active 1 year license to be able to create and edit Word documents and so on ?

./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-firewall -soyp firefox,notepadplusplus,office365business work-win7

And to make a useable installation of Windows 10 Pro, do I then just need to first download Windows 10 Pro by executing the script of the file; “download-windows.sh“ (if so how ?) and then execute the following script ?

./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i win10x64-pro.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml anon-win10

How do I then install the newest Microsoft Office package with unlimited possibility to create and edit Word documents, etc. ?

Feb 25, 2020, 7:02:21 AM2/25/20
to qubes-users
A way to download Windows 10 Pro manually and install it.

I haven’t managed to download Windows 10 Pro by using the file “download-windows.sh”. So instead I downloaded Windows 10 Pro manually and ran the script afterwards.

You can follow these steps to do it the same way as I did it:

1) Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose “default” one and click on “Apply”.

2) Open the domains Firefox browser and search the web for “how to download windows 10”.
One of the first results is a link to a Microsoft webpage from which it is possible to download the file in the local language.
The file gets downloaded to the download folder in the domain.

3) Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose “(none)” and click on “Apply”.

4) Move or copy the file to this destination: /Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/windows-media/isos

5) Open the terminal in dom0 and execute the following script (remember to write the name of the iso file you downloaded in step 2 instead of “filename”):

./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml anon-win10

Info: anon-win10 will be the name of the domain. I don’t know if it is possible to change the domain name without spoiling anything.

Do not close the terminal before it says the installation was complete (successfully) !

Let the terminal do the job, it restarts the qube and so on when it is necessary.

When I got into Windows there appeared three message boxes. One saying that the pc has to be restarted. A second one saying that drive D has to be formatted. And the third one saying something about a private drive as far as I recall.

I started to click OK, I think on the third messaged, and then Windows immediately closed and restarted and seemed to run fine afterwards.

And in the terminal it said the installation was completed successfully.

A E

Feb 25, 2020, 7:16:55 AM2/25/20
to qubes-users

Afterwards, I have mistakenly closed the window with Windows 10 in it. And now I can’t figure out how to make the window visible again...

I have tried to click on different icons in the menu of the domain ananon-win10 in the qube menu - also the one called “Start”. A message pops up saying that the domain is started, but I can’t see a window where Windows 10 is starting up.

Can someone tell me how to make the window visible again ?

A E

Feb 25, 2020, 8:09:26 AM2/25/20
to qubes-users
Arh, to make it appear again, just execute this script in dom0: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1 .

Write the name of the domain (for example “anon-win10”), instead of <windows_qube> .

A E

Feb 25, 2020, 12:05:18 PM2/25/20
to qubes-users
To change the size of the window, change the screen resolution in Windows.

For now, it doesn’t seem possible to get the window to cover the whole screen except the Qubes menu.

A E

Feb 26, 2020, 1:08:27 PM2/26/20
to qubes-users
How to install Microsoft Office365 in a Win10 HVM that is created by using the script: ./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml anon-win10 ?

Feb 27, 2020, 10:35:14 AM2/27/20
to qubes-users
Easy: You just have to close the HVM and start it up again. After that internet access from the HVM is granted, and you can use a browser to download Microsoft Office.

Feb 27, 2020, 10:39:56 AM2/27/20
to qubes-users
Info: It is possible to give the Domain another name than “anon-win10”.

The name for the domaine can be entered both before and after the installation without any problems.

Mar 15, 2020, 7:15:05 AM3/15/20
to qubes-users
How to setup a Win 10 HVM according to this page: https://github.com/elliotkillick/qvm-create-windows-qube ?

See below for my detailed description on how to use this method:

1)  Open your Firefox browser in a VM - for example in the untrusted VM.

2)  To save the install.sh script file:  Open this page: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/elliotkillick/qvm-create-windows-qube/master/install.sh and save it as install.sh

3)  To copy the file to dom0: Open the dom0 terminal and execute this command:  qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output untrusted "cat '/home/user/Downloads/install.sh'" > install.sh

4)  To check that the file is copied to dom0: Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: ls

5)  To get Qubes OS to execute the script in the "install.sh" file: Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x install.sh && ./install.sh

6)  Download the version of Windows 10 you want to use to the "windows-mgmt" VM.
     You can execute the script in the file "download-windows.sh , but it might not work - I couldn't make it work. In that case, do the following:

     6a)  Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose the “default” one and click on “Apply”.

     6b)  Open the domains Firefox browser and search the web for “how to download windows 10”.
            One of the first results is a link to a Microsoft webpage from which it is possible to download the file in the local language.
            The file gets downloaded to the download folder in the domain.

     6c)  Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose “(none)” and click on “Apply”.

     6d)  Move or copy the downloaded Win10 ISO-file to this destination: /Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/windows-media/isos

     6e)  Open the terminal in dom0 and execute the following script (remember to write the name of the ISO-file you downloaded in step 6b instead of “filename”): ./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml Win10
            Info: "Win10" will be the name of the domain.
            Do not close the terminal before it says the installation was complete (successfully) !  Let the terminal do the job, it restarts the qube and so on when it is necessary.

7)  When you get into Windows there might appear three message boxes. One saying that the pc has to be restarted. A second one saying that drive D has to be formatted. And the third one saying something about a private drive. Just click on "OK". Then Windows will close immediately and restart. Afterwards the terminal should write that the installation was completed successfully.
     When Windows start up again you probably do not have a functioning internet connection.

8)  To get on the internet: Shut down the Win10 HVM and start it again.

Now your Win10 HVM should act almost as a normal Win 10 installation.

Franz

Mar 22, 2020, 6:32:30 PM3/22/20
to M, qubes-users
When I start Windows again I get a green point on the state column of Qubes Manager, which is encouraging, but no GUI whatsoever appears, even if the Windows screen appeared and restarted many times during the installation process.

Franz

Mar 23, 2020, 1:45:41 AM3/23/20
to M, qubes-users
qvm-sync-appmenus  <qube_name> fixed it

Mar 26, 2020, 8:07:40 AM3/26/20
to qubes-users
You\re right, I forgot to mention that:

After the installation is complete and the Windows 10 HVM is shut down, you have to execute the following command in the dom0 terminal to view the Windows GUI-window again: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1

Apr 5, 2020, 2:42:40 PM4/5/20
to qubes-users
Updated steps to setup a Win 10 HVM

[...]

9)  To view the Windows GUI-window again the next time you start the Win10 HVM, execute the following command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1 .
     Write the name of the domain (for example "Win10"), instead of <windows_qube> .

10)  Start the Win10 HVM again by going into the "Qubes Menu" -> "Win10" -> "Start" .

11)  To change the size of the GUI-window, change the screen resolution from within Windows so that it best fits your screen.
       Info: It isn't possible to get the GUI-window to be as big as the screen, but only almost as big.
       In case you don't know how to change the display resolution in Windows, here is a way to do it: Right-click on the desktop -> "Display Settings", and in the window that appears, change the display resolution under "Scale and layout" -> "Display resolution".

Nov 8, 2020, 10:31:36 AM11/8/20
to qubes-users
I have tried to use the method that I have described above to create a Win 10 HVM in Qubes OS (R4.0.2) on a new working pc.

And I have begun step 5 reaching the step where it would like to download Windows 7.

But then I get this error: "SSL: public key does not match pinned public key! Failed to download Windows! Retrying in 10 seconds..."

Then my question is: Can I just cancel the downloading and start manually downloading Windows 10, or will I miss downloading some needed files to get a Win 10 HVM function properly with Qubes OS ?

I will very much appreciate a fast answer as I need to get the Windows 10 HVM up and running before Tuesday (10. of November). And sorry, I know it's a bit late.

Nov 8, 2020, 10:46:00 AM11/8/20
to qubes-users
I have reach the following point in the install.sh file and below I have marked the important missing parts of the installation process.

Can I somehow just execute the parts I have marked with yellow below in Dom0, and if so how ?

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Please check for a \"Good signature\" from GPG (Verify it out-of-band if necessary)..." >&2

qvm-run -q "$resources_qube" "gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org --recv-keys 018FB9DE6DFA13FB18FB5552F9B90D44F83DD5F2"

qvm-run -p "$resources_qube" "cd '$resources_dir' && git verify-commit \$(git rev-list --max-parents=0 HEAD)"

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Downloading Windows 7 (Other versions of Windows can be downloaded later by using download-windows.sh)..." >&2

qvm-run -p "$resources_qube" "cd '$resources_dir/windows-media/isos' && ./download-windows.sh win7x64-ultimate"

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Shutting down $resources_qube..." >&2

qvm-shutdown --wait "$resources_qube"

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Air gapping $resources_qube..." >&2

qvm-prefs "$resources_qube" netvm ""

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Installing Qubes Windows Tools..." >&2

sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

echo -e "${BLUE}[i]${NC} Copying qvm-create-windows-qube.sh to Dom0..." >&2

qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-colour-output "$resources_qube" "cat '$resources_dir/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh'" > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

# Allow execution of script

chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

echo -e "${GREEN}[+]${NC} Installation complete!"

Nov 8, 2020, 5:40:31 PM11/8/20
to qubes-users
Now I have found a way to make it work without getting Windows 7 downloaded first. And I have updated the procedure above and inserted the updated/edited version below.

[...]

      If the installation script ends up in a loop where the pc is trying to download Windows 7 but can't, then close the dom0 terminal, open a new one and follow these steps (they are the same as the 4 last steps in the script inside the "install.sh" file):

     5a)  Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-prefs windows-mgmt netvm

     5b)  To download qubes-windows-tools (for easy copy and moving fiiles to and from the Win10 HVM, etc.), execute this command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

     5c)  To copy "qvm-create-windows-qube.sh" to dom0, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output windows-mgmt "cat '/home/user//Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh' " > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

     5d)  To make the file able to be executed, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

[...]

7)  When you get into Windows there might appear three message boxes. One saying that the pc has to be restarted. A second one saying that drive D has to be formatted. And the third one saying something about a private drive. Just click on "Yes" or "OK". Then Windows will close immediately and restart. Afterwards the terminal should write that the installation was completed successfully.

     When Windows start up again you probably do not have a functioning internet connection.

8)  To get on the internet: Shut down the Win10 HVM.

9)  To view the Windows GUI-window again the next time you start the Win10 HVM, execute the following command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1
     Write the name of the domain (for example "Win10"), instead of <windows_qube> .

10)  Start the Win10 HVM again by going into the "Qubes Menu" -> "Win10" -> either  click on "Start" or on a application shortcut to start the Win10 HVM.

11)  To change the size of the GUI-window, change the screen resolution from within Windows so that it best fits your screen.
       Info: It isn't possible to get the GUI-window to be as big as the screen, but only almost as big.
       In case you don't know how to change the display resolution in Windows, here is a way to do it: Right-click on the desktop -> "Display Settings", and in the window that appears, change the display resolution under "Scale and layout" -> "Display resolution".

Now your Win10 HVM should act almost as a normal Win 10 installation.

Knut von Walter

Nov 9, 2020, 7:21:11 AM11/9/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi
Well I am happy with my Windows 10 configuration. However I still have problems with installing Qubes Tools for Windows 4.0.1.3, link: https://qubes-os.discourse.group/t/usability-of-qubes-tools-for-windows-10/1075/6 1 . As far as step Nr. 8 everything is fine. But my GUI of Windows 10 is not starting afterwards.
Can you please send me an instruction on how to install the Qubes Tools for Windows? The name of my Windows 10 HVM in Qubes Manager is called windows-10-clone-1-xen : It would be great if you could send me instructions with the necessary commands for installing Qubes Tools for Windows in my HVM.
Thank you.
Stay healthy & safe
Best

        Knut

Nov 9, 2020, 1:07:21 PM11/9/20
to qubes-users
Have you done this:

9)  To view the Windows GUI-window again the next time you start the Win10 HVM, execute the following command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1
     Write the name of the domain (for example "Win10"), instead of <windows_qube> .

To install the Qubes Tools for Windows, I would try this if I was you:

     5b)  To download qubes-windows-tools (for easy copy and moving fiiles to and from the Win10 HVM, etc.), execute this command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

If this isn't enough, then I guess you properly have to do the following also (but I don't know ! - I'm not a very experienced Qubes-user):

     5c)  To copy "qvm-create-windows-qube.sh" to dom0, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output windows-mgmt "cat '/home/user//Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh' " > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

     5d)  To make the file able to be executed, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh
     6e)  Open the terminal in dom0 and execute the following script (remember to write the name of the ISO-file you downloaded in step 6b instead of “filename”): ./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml Win10
            Info: "Win10" will be the name of the domain.
            Do NOT close the terminal before it says the installation was complete (successfully) !  Let the terminal do the job, it restarts the qube and so on when it is necessary.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to delete both the windows-mgmt VM and the Win10 HVM and follow my procedure from the beginning to the end.

In worst case you would have to start from a backup before you began the creation of the windows-mgmt VM and installation of the Win10 HVM or install Qubes again to make it function properly. But hopefully you won't have to do that. Ask others in here before you do this in case they can tell you if and how this can be avoided - if you doesn't succeed with my suggested steps above.

Knut von Walter

Nov 10, 2020, 6:52:10 AM11/10/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi

well I just ran the command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools . This successfully installed qubes-windows-tools.noarch 4.0.1-3 in dom0 :

However in order to test my successful installation I tried to test my clipboard to copy text from AppVM vault to StandaloneVM windows-10. This was not working.

As far as I know this is the main feature of Qubes-Windows-Tools.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone have an idea how to get my clipboard working?

Thank you.

Best

            Knut

Knut von Walter

Nov 13, 2020, 6:07:31 AM11/13/20
to qubes-users
I think if it's possible to right-click on a file -> "Send to" -> "Copy to other VM" and the file gets copied to the chosen VM, then the installed "Qubes Windows Tools" seems to work properly.

Knut von Walter

Nov 13, 2020, 6:09:44 AM11/13/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I can do this with my configuration.