Can TeamViewer or similar work with Qubes..?

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 2:05:10 PM9/22/16
to qubes-users
I am working on a project with someone.

And they want to remote into Qubes with TeamViewer.

Will this work at all... or is there any alternative software..? Thanks

yaqu

Sep 22, 2016, 2:38:39 PM9/22/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
TeamViewer installed in AppVM can be used only as a client - you can
connect to someone's desktop. It works, I use it very often.

If you want someone to connect to your desktop, try to install it in
HVM. You should be able to share VM's desktop (but not the whole
Qubes). I've tested it in Windows 7 HVM once and it worked.

--
yaqu

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 2:49:01 PM9/22/16
to qubes-users, qubes...@openmailbox.org
OK, that's pretty useless, because I want someone to connect to my PV, not to a win7 HVM.

Are there any other options at all..? I guess I could let someone SSH into my VM..?

x...@xet7.org

Oct 31, 2016, 6:34:36 PM10/31/16
to qubes-users, qubes...@openmailbox.org
I use TeamViewer in Linux Mint 17.3 HVM. I presume TeamViewer works in any HVM.

For PV, other options are:
- use reverse SSH to login to PV
- have SaltStack master running somewhere and add SaltStack minion software to PV

Adrian Rocha

Nov 1, 2016, 12:48:29 PM11/1/16
to qubes-users, qubes...@openmailbox.org, x...@xet7.org
Hi,
You can install TeamViewer, SSH or any other remote access tool in the VMs. And obviously the VM needs internet access to use the tool, you cannot access to dom0/host or unconnected VMs. To access maybe you need to redirect a port in the firewall depending on the remote access tool that you are using:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/#tocAnchor-1-1-4

Another option is hide the service in TOR by whonix, but you have to consider the connection speed.